PDA

View Full Version : Kent Turbo Calcium ?

reefrubble
08/20/2006, 08:11 PM
Why would my LFS guy tell me that I couldn't use Turbo calcium to maintain my calcium levels? He said I would have to use kalk to do that,and the turbo calcium was only to give a quick kick, if my calcium was low? Ted

Billybeau1
08/20/2006, 08:28 PM
Reef, He's kinda giving you good advice only in a round about way.

Can you maintain calcium levels with just Turbo.... Yes
Should you use limewater to help maintain your cal and alk levels....Yes

You see Turbo Calcium is very concentrated and it doesnt take much to boost calcium. The problem with that is its not balanced relative to alkalinity. One should always try to keep the two balanced.

There are many more benifits to limewater than just maintaining cal and alk. Many dose limewater and still find it necessary to suppliment cal and alk occasionaly. All depends on the tank.

Give these a read and you'll be able to discuss this with your LFS with a little more knowledge.

How to select a calcium and alkalinity suppliment scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

And

What your grandmother never told you about lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

reefrubble
08/20/2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks a bunch Billy.

jdm01
08/20/2006, 08:37 PM
The guy at the LFS is right. it is used for a quick kick. I use the b-ionic two part to maintain both calcium and alkalinity. I have heard that dosing kalk can be difficult unless you pay close attention. I use the b-ionic and have had no problems. My system has been very balanced since I switched over.

Billybeau1
08/20/2006, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7978640#post7978640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jdm01
I have heard that dosing kalk can be difficult unless you pay close attention.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's is pretty straight forward. Read the grandmother article I posted above and decide for yourself. :)

reefrubble
08/20/2006, 08:43 PM
Oh ,one more thing Billy, Isn't it better to use a kalk reactor to dose calcium hydroxide. I used kalk before in my make up water ,and the CO2 in the air reacted with it ,and screwed it up.

Billybeau1
08/20/2006, 08:56 PM
I'll have to defer to Randy or Boomer on that one. I have zero experience with reactors. :)

Boomer
08/20/2006, 10:03 PM
Ted

Using a kalk reactpr is fine and is probably a better method than dripping, especially with a 250 gal tank. Some have no problem with the drip method at all.

CO2 in the air reacted with

Yes that may be an issue for some. The CO2 reacts with the kalk and the net result is the precip of CaCO3 solid, Caclite.

reefrubble
08/20/2006, 10:38 PM
Boomer , I'm confused. Does Randy use Lime Water made with calcium hydroxide,or does he use calcium chloride,to maintain calcium levels? Ted

john rochon
08/21/2006, 05:26 AM
I would like to chime in here about the KALK. I remember reading [I think from randy] that its NOT a big deal if KALK water is open to the air. theres a skin that quickly covers this water and doesn't let anymore C02 react. I've used it in my topoff for years with no issues at all. drip method sucks because the tubes and dials always clog.

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/21/2006, 06:35 AM
I maintain my aquarium calcium and alkalinity levels with limewater. i make up 88 gallons in two connected trash cans, and that is automatically dosed over a few weeks. Any loss in potency is minimal.

i do boost the calcium level in my starting IO salt mix by 70 ppm calcium with Dowflake and 150 ppm magnesium with MAG flake.

I do not routinely use the two part recipe that I've published, but it is a fine way to go.

steve the plumb
08/21/2006, 06:54 AM
I use Randys 2 part along with the mag flakes and epson salt.I also use the tunze calcium disspencer with the osmolator.I find in a high demand tank like mine the kalk doesn't do much.I only use it to raise my ph.In the past it did help maintain my alk more than my cal but I kept buying more sps and as they grew so did my demands.I can't keep up with the tank without using a doser and Randys 2 part.I find the doser works the best.I used to have to dose manually and that was a pain plus you had to dose one large amount per day creating a yo-yo affect.With the doser everything is doesed by the hour and its a small dose each time over the day so no spikes.

reefrubble
08/21/2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks John, I was using Kalk,when I had my 125 gal tank. I mixed up a 44 gal. container ,and had a friend keep an eye on my tank,when we went on a vacation. I guess I did a No,No,I used a power head on a timer to keep it mixed. well I guess you know what happened to my calcium level in two weeks. I then went back to the B ionic Two Part. Now with the 225 gal. SPS tank ,that is out of the question. $$$$$$$ Ted

reefrubble
08/21/2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks Randy, you have been a great help also. I appreciate ,your patience with me ,and my lack of knowledge. Randy ,can you please tell why you don't use just the two part recipe to maintain your tank demands ? Thank you for your help, Ted

reefrubble
08/21/2006, 08:18 AM
Steve, I thank you sir. I know all well about what a pain ,it is dosing by hand. So you just use the kalk to keep your ph up,and you still use Randy's two part every day . You must have a monster SPS load. Do you have any pics of your tank? Ted

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/21/2006, 08:19 AM
Limewater is very easy for me to use and automate for weeks at a time. I also started it many years ago before there was a good DIY recipe.

reefrubble
08/21/2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks Randy, I have a Reef Filler pump just sitting around,I can use. I think it is only a 7 gal. a day pump. Do you think that will be enough? Do you know if you can up the out put ,with out buying a whole new pump? Ted

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/21/2006, 08:46 AM
It only needs to be enough to match evaporation, so I'd expect 7 GPD to be enough for most systems your size.

reefrubble
08/21/2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks Randy, Ted

Randy Holmes-Farley
08/21/2006, 09:00 AM
:thumbsup:

Good luck. :)

steve the plumb
08/21/2006, 10:44 AM
I have some pics but I don't know how to load them.I switched to BB about a month ago so the tank doesn't look as nice as before but the corals are growing.I can e-mail you a pick if you like.I don't have the tank of the month thats for sure but I am happy with it.

reefrubble
08/21/2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks Steve, My email address is in my profile. Ted