PDA

View Full Version : Hadn't set up quarantine yet ... gots a problem

msduncan
08/21/2006, 07:47 AM
Ok... so I added a Coral Beauty that was in perfect condition at the LFS. But after a couple days in my tank he has developed Ich. I'm assuming this is from the stress of the move affecting his immune system?

How should I treat him? I don't have a quarantine tank set up.

tygger
08/21/2006, 08:37 AM
Tell us what type of tank this is... FO? FOWLR or Reef? What size tank? Those need to be known before anyone can recommend medication.

In the mean time, soak the food you feed in Kent's Garlic Extreme or fresh garlic from the grocery store.

msduncan
08/21/2006, 09:09 AM
Reef. 55 gallon.

msduncan
08/21/2006, 09:10 AM
Any chance of him recovering from this by himself or will it bring him down? The LFS is closed Mondays (today)

Siiri
08/21/2006, 12:27 PM
When my blue tang had ich, I was told to raise the temperature a little and to soak the food in garlic guard. It helped a lot and my blue tang recovered within a few days.

Good luck.

Whisperer
08/21/2006, 12:40 PM
hyposalinity worked for my hippo tang.

msduncan
08/21/2006, 12:45 PM
Ok.. I'm going to grab some garlic tomorrow from the LFS. Not sure if I want to mess with the salinity just yet though... I'll try that if the garlic doesn't help.

Whisperer
08/21/2006, 12:47 PM
read up first on garlic treatment before u buy.

WaterKeeper
08/21/2006, 12:50 PM
A Q-tank (or H-tank) need not be elaborate. A coral beauty is not that large so a 5 gallon container should be fine. You do need a heater but I always have a backup heater on any display tank anyway. Use water from the display and change it often using display water. An air pump or small HOB filter will provide circulation. Resist any temptation to treat him in the display. Even hypo will kill inverts. IF you have other fish be prepared to treat them too.

tygger
08/21/2006, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7980905#post7980905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msduncan
Reef. 55 gallon.

Because it's a reef, you don't want to do hypo there or treat with any chemicals. I would buy a cheap 10g tank and setup a quarantine. Search quarintine and you should get tons of ideas. It doesn't have to be expensive...

msduncan
08/22/2006, 07:06 AM
Well.... not exactly sure what happened, but the ich was gone when I got home yesterday.

Actually I have a suspicion. I have a Fire Shrimp. Aren't they known for picking Ich off fish from time to time?

Whisperer
08/22/2006, 07:58 AM
Keep an eye on the fish, it usually flares up.

kraze3
08/22/2006, 08:05 AM
Ich drops of into the substrate to reproduce. Its very possible that your ich isnt gone and that it will be back stronger very soon. Ich is also only visible during one stage in its life cycle. Its also possible that ich has infested the gills of your fish and you cannot see it. There are many different possibilities. IMO if you saw ich then you should b treating for ich. There is always the possibilty that your fish can fight it off but to me it isnt worth the risk.

Many say they have good luck with garlic. Garlic has no proven effects on marine ich, only on freshwater ich (see link)
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

You can get a 10 gallon tank for $12 and a HOB filter for like 15. Add a cheap heater and any old light and you have yourself a hospital tank. I treated my CB with hypo for ich a few months ago and shes doing great since.

Good Luck!

msduncan
08/22/2006, 10:46 AM
How the heck would I get the bugger out of the main tank? He's faster than a damsel with crab latched on it's tail.