PDA

View Full Version : EuroReef Skimmer Pump Replacement

Liquid1
08/21/2006, 09:13 AM
I have a ER 8-2 skimmer with the standard Sedra skimmer pump. I think it is a Sedra 5000. It has recently stopped working and I've done the whole soak/disassemble/clean with vinegar routine. I need to buy a replacement skimmer pump. What is the best pump out there with a combination of performance, cost, and energy consumption? Should I just stick with the Sedra or should I go with something else? Thanks for the advice.

thor32766
08/21/2006, 10:29 AM
most people i know just run the sedras on those skimmers, maybe some else will chime in.

Liquid1
08/22/2006, 07:29 AM
Bump, also anyone know for sure whether the standard pump on an 8-2 is a Sedra 5000 and/or any good sites to purchase a replacement?

taku
08/22/2006, 08:07 AM
I just ordered a sedra 3500 from customaquatics.. I paid 2nd day shipping ($48), I placed this order yesterday just before 4pm local time (for customaquatic).

Now it's 10am, the order status page won't load properly.. and I'm stressing that I just paid $48 for fast shipping for nothing?

I placed an order from MarineDepot.com at the same time as the customaquatic order, and my Marine Depot GROUND items HAVE ALREADY SHIPPED!!!

I'm going to be irate if the marine depot order GROUND arrives before custom aquatics 2nd day shipping that I paid extra for.

I'm probably just being an ******* though, does anyone have any experience with customaquatic? It's the first time I've ordered from them.

(I already emailed them this am, just waiting on response)

Sullivmw
08/22/2006, 08:30 AM
I have ordered my NW Sedras from :

http://www.globeaqua.com/

I have ordered several and no issues.

taku
08/22/2006, 12:18 PM
I just spoke with customaquatic -- I was overreacting earlier -- they said they've got my stuff packed, UPS will be by to pick it up later today. I was stressing because I spent almost $50 to expedite shipping and was concerned it would be delayed.

The sad part is my ground shipping from MarineDepot will be here Friday, and the customaquatic stuff will be here thursday at the earliest... oh well, at least I won't have to wait til next week..

Liquid1
08/23/2006, 06:47 AM
Thanks. Still looking to know for sure if it is a Sedra 5k, if anyone out there knows.

sabodish
08/23/2006, 07:57 AM
i have an 8-2 that i bought with a damaged pump. i just purchased a sedra 5000 and it appears the fittings that came with the pump are larger than the uniseal on the skimmer. the correct pump is the 5000 though.

jvetter
08/23/2006, 08:20 AM
My Euroreef ES5-2 (about 2 years old) stopped working three weeks ago. The power had gone out and the pump would not restart. I soaked the pump in a strong 50/50 vinegar/tapwater solution, but the pump still would not work. I looked closely at things to figure out the problem, and I discovered that the impeller looked swollen at the magnet end. Because of the swelling, the impeller fit too tightly and friction was keeping it from working. The "swelling" was subtle, but it had happened. I cannot explain why this happened only that it did.

I do not know if this helps, but I did not have to replace the whole pump just the impeller.

Euroreef also has slashed the prices almost 50% on some items at the online store. I waited a week to order a new impeller and the price went from $100 to $49. Check the website.

Jim