PDA

View Full Version : Strange mandarin behavior

2fishy
08/21/2006, 09:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or have any ideas why this is happening. I have a green mandarin that all of a sudden has been going to the top of the aquarium at night when the lights are off. This started on Friday night and has happened every night since. It seems that he gets caugt in the current of the powerfilter, so every night I have ended up shutting down the filter and one powerhead, leaving one powerhead running. He stays up there for hours, but then sometime after I finally fall asleep, he goes back to the bottom. It almost seems as if he can't go back to the bottom initially. The first night, I thought he was dying, but by the next morning, everything was back to normal. He is eating like normal, and looks fat as can be. The only thing that I have noticed that was different is that I saw that the pygmy angel out lurking in the rock, after the lights have gone off. Does anyone know if the slime that they produce makes them float?

Sk8r
08/21/2006, 09:59 AM
I would worry about nighttime oxygenation. Have you got an excess of algae or green plants that switch over to co2 production after the lights are out?

2fishy
08/21/2006, 10:12 AM
Ah, I wonder if that is the problem! I have not been cleaning the back of the glass which is now getting more covered in green algae on one end. I also have sargassum on some of the rocks, and some sort of hawaiian algae on one. But I noticed that some of the branches have broken off and are under the rock. What would be the solution for this at night?

2fishy
08/23/2006, 10:56 AM
This post is mostly for Sk8tr. I just wanted to tell you thank you for asking about the algae!:D My mandarin has been back to its normal night time behavior ever since I cleaned the back of the glass and threw in some fresh carbon on Monday! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yesterday, I put a black background on the back, and although I am not sure if I like it, it is as if the mandarin can see everything and has been happily cruising the glass ever since it was added. I'm not even sure if it went to sleep last night because I couldn't see it in it's normal spot!

Avi
08/23/2006, 01:44 PM
Very good call, Sk8tr

Sk8r
08/23/2006, 01:47 PM
So glad! I love those little guys---glad if I could help one to a long life--- THank you for the thank you!

2fishy
08/23/2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, he seems pretty content!:D

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0904.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0909.jpg

And so does he! :lol: (Sorry for the glare) Now if I could only find those peppermint shrimp!

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/2fishy_2006/100_0907.jpg

roper512
09/02/2006, 12:23 PM
I have same type of mandarin. Mine will float at night as well but keeps itself in the same place (roughly) by using its fins..

I have no corals and just a little bit of film algae on my tank walls.. My pH stays between 8.1 and 8.4 day/night and have plenty of oxygenation (especially now I have my windows open all day/night).

I have two tunze 6000 streams and a Deltec MCE600 in my 45 gallon cube so I know air/water mix is not a problem. I figured it was just sleep swimming, no biggie..

druce
09/02/2006, 12:29 PM
love the last pic, looks like he's smiling for you

dc
09/02/2006, 12:33 PM
She does look content! ;)

DerekABZ
09/02/2006, 02:46 PM
great pic, looks very content :)