PDA

View Full Version : basket starfish

pixburg-reefer
08/21/2006, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

I received a small basket starfish on a gorgonian frag today. It is about the size of a dime and looks like this picture below except the one I have is a light pink color with brown stripes.

http://i7.*******.com/257zoux.jpg

I know they eat plankton and like dimmer areas, but I was wondering if anyone has had much survival success with these guys. I have had him acclimating in a cup for about an hour know, basically because I put some cyclopeeze in there to see if he would be interested in it. He has eaten a lot of it and showed great interest immediately when I put it in the water, which is a good sign.

Thanks for any feedback!

Kelly

Sk8r
08/21/2006, 02:19 PM
Good luck with him! I was sold one back in dino days before much was known about them, and now that we have plankton available to us there's a fighting chance you can keep him. It's likely to be nocturnal, so you might do an occasional post-dark feeding if it's a slow eater. If it's eating by day, great!

pixburg-reefer
08/21/2006, 02:36 PM
Ok thanks!!! I just put him in my aquarium on the sand and now he is moving around but he doesn't seem to be moving toward the dark area, he just seems to want to check everything out.

Kelly

pixburg-reefer
08/21/2006, 06:53 PM
Anyone else? I don't know where he went now, i really hope he doesn't get eaten....

Kelly

Sk8r
08/21/2006, 07:52 PM
He'll go up on the gorgonian and stretch himself between two fronds, if his behavior is like mine. Feed him, and he'll find himself a current he likes and take up station, if you're lucky. They don't move much once they set where there's a good current and food stream.

iamwhatiam52
08/21/2006, 08:54 PM
I've had a ten inch diameter basket star for about 8 months.
It eats frozen cyclopeez and mysids. It often grabs a large chunk of food (squid, clam, shrimp etc) but I'm not sure if it eats it or drops it later. The first month it opened every evening on a coral in the center of the tank and was absolutely a showstopper, but now it likes the overflow screen where it is not so easy to see and returns no matter where I move it.

I'de LOVE to have a tiny one. I'll look into collecting one myself on my next trip to Florida.