PDA

View Full Version : starting over 38 gal tank

willowtree_1987
08/21/2006, 09:26 PM
We have to start completely over due to personal reasons.

We have learned alot from this forum the first time and would like opions .

Current 38 gal tank
404 Fuval filter
maxi jet 900 & 1200 (just bought)
sand about 1 inch
coralife 65 super skimmer
40 pounds of dead rock (due to personal reasons)
salt
and a ro/di on the way...

so tonight i put in the sand the dead rock arranged it the way we wanted it . waiting on ro/di machine to come.

question one - Do we need to run the powerheads at the get go
I know not the skimmer.

Fuval filter - we ran only carbon and the stones the first time around is this ok?

Thank you all for any input.

t5Nitro
08/21/2006, 09:45 PM
For the powerhead if you dont have any coral in it just yet i dont think you need to have the powerhead running.

I also have a fluval filter and i am using what it came with, but also i am a beginner and just setting it up, rock will be in this week.

mfisher2112
08/21/2006, 09:54 PM
I don't know if it is necessary or not, but I ran my powerheads in the tank during the cycle just to keep the water moving. I'm just a beginner, but I wanted to make sure the water was getting aerated (sp?) during its initial cycle. Its what I would have done with my freshwater, and old habits die hard. It certainly can't hurt anything to have at least one of the power heads running to circulate the water around the rocks.

You will probably want to consider picking up at least some live rock to seed the existing dead rock as well. Just a thought, but it would get things moving a bit quicker in my opinion.

willowtree_1987
08/22/2006, 08:43 PM
after reading some post on canister filters. Should I ditch the fuval canister filter. Would live rock, skimmer, and 2 powerheads be enough?

mfisher2112
08/22/2006, 09:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7993398#post7993398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by willowtree_1987
after reading some post on canister filters. Should I ditch the fuval canister filter. Would live rock, skimmer, and 2 powerheads be enough?

I'm running a 55gallon with live rock, 3 powerheads and a skimmer. I heard too many people talk about the potential for nitrate buildup in mechanical filtration. So far, so good!

willowtree_1987
08/22/2006, 11:10 PM
I think I am going to try to go without it this time around just to see what happens. I had problems with amonia the first time couldn't get it to 0 it was always at .025 . Then i do remember out of the blue i had a bad nat. attack... Didn't relize I could go without a filter.

mfisher2112
08/23/2006, 02:57 PM
Just make sure you have enough good cured live rock (about 1.5 pounds per gallon seems to be the general concensus) and enough water flow and a good skimmer.

theatrus
08/23/2006, 03:03 PM
Always run the powerheads :) They're basically "driving" the live rock filter. If you can put a little bit (even 10lbs) of live rock in, it will help seed out the beneficial mini organisms in your tank (worms, pods, etc).

BurntOutReefer
08/23/2006, 04:08 PM
hold onto the Fluval.....my personal favorite for polishing water...its awesome.....dont ditch it...(unless you want 2 ) then I'll take it . :-)

willowtree_1987
08/24/2006, 08:57 PM
thanks to everyone that replied. I appreciate the help.