PDA

View Full Version : Water tests 12G JBL Nano cube

Jim Cannon
08/21/2006, 09:30 PM
I know there are different schools of thought on liquid vs strip vs hi tech equipment. I cannot afford the hi tech stuff, so it's not an option.

I ordered a liquid test kit on Amazon from Petsmart. I got a "Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit" made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

My results were:

Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
PH - 8.4

It is my understanding that PH of 8.2 is ideal. This tank has been cycling for 2 weeks with cured and uncured LR.

I have the water temp under control now. By keeping the front lid open it with the lights on its about 80. Without lights it drops to 77 to 78.

I don't have any test results previous, so can't say if the PH is increasing or decreasing.

So my question is...what do you think of PH buffers? They supposedly keep PH at 8.2. I don't lean either to that or away. I look to you all for opinions.

Am I ready to add any livestock yet?

Thanks for ya'alls input.

chanhowg
08/23/2006, 07:52 AM
I am really new to this hobby and not too knowledgeable but from what I have read to start the cycling process you will need to add a source of ammonia, i.e. livestock. The ph of 8.4 is not out of range for most types of marine tanks.

mister crabs
08/23/2006, 07:58 AM
you dont need to add anything other tahn LR , Sand, And water. Any dieoff fron the Lr will give you that souce of ammonia. and if it was cured beforehand and you dont get dieoff then even better!

Jim Cannon
08/23/2006, 12:38 PM
Everything looks excellent. I was just wondering about the Ph.

I have seen where 8.2 is THE goal. And I have seen 8.2 to 8.4 is good. I just remember seeing stuff in LFS that supposed 'buffers' your water at 8.2.

My green diatom is getting less each day. The weekend may be the time to add some livestock! Yahoo!

fishykid9212
08/23/2006, 02:12 PM
Everything is fine including your PH. My PH always runs high, like at 8.9 and everything in the tank is fine.

Jim Cannon
08/23/2006, 02:29 PM
Thank you fishykid. You're my kinda 'goto guy' with answers like that! *s*

fishykid9212
08/23/2006, 02:35 PM
no problem, I can always comfort people about their tank by describing my tank ;) Just like if I told you if sugar kept me from doing waterchanges for months you wouldn't believe me. But I think my PH is high because I drip kalk, and even though I drip it slowely it still goes up. :)