PDA

View Full Version : Fungus on clown eggs?

evilmantis
08/22/2006, 09:57 AM
Hello!
My very first batch of clown eggs just hatched last night :) I wasn't planning on breeding -- I honestly didn't think the orange false perc could breed with the black true perc. But apparently fish are colorblind :)

However, not too many made it. I noticed that a fuzzy white stuff was taking over some of the eggs. Is this a fungus of some sort, or eggs decaying, or what??

My parent tank seems fine... although I did notice a few days ago a fuzzy white thing on my Heniochus's tail. I was watching to see if it changed... it hasn't, but now I am concerned!!

BTW I am feeding the larva (what few there are) rotifers that I bought from Florida Aqua Farms. Also bought an algae culture kit so that I am ready for the rotifers next time the clowns decide to do the deed (once I return their cave, that is...).

Thanks!
Goldie

Edit: After some checking, I am pretty sure the heni just has lymphocystis, which will go away. The eggs, though... hmm.

Kathy55g
08/22/2006, 11:33 AM
Might work better to leave the eggs with daddy clown and harvest the larvae as they hatch, although some will disagree.

ediaz
08/22/2006, 12:19 PM
would that be the ones who like to sleep?

You can also remove the spawn 1 hour before lights out to leave them with the parents a long as possible.

The fuzzy thing might be dead decaying eggs.

If I remenber right fish have better color vision than many animals hence the pretty colors.

Ed

Luis A M
08/22/2006, 02:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7988423#post7988423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by evilmantis
But apparently fish are colorblind :)

Or they are not racist:D

I hear you people mentioning egg fungus so often and I feel ashamed to say I never saw any:p .Dead eggs turn white but never develop cottony growts like FW Saprolegnia,is that what you mean?

Kathy55g
08/25/2006, 06:59 AM
white fur. And you should be ashamed! Unless you've had pain, you cannot sing the blues...