PDA

View Full Version : It may be time for a new tank...help

Fireview
08/22/2006, 12:06 PM
In cleaning my 55 gallon reef tank tank last night I notice that the support piece on the top of the aquarium in the middle has several small cracks in it. It looks like the cracks have been caused by the light from my MH lights. It has faded some of the color out of the plastic.

I am not sure how important this support plastic piece is...but I assume it is needed. Therefore, I may have to take down my aquarium and put up a new one.

Before I do that, do they make a clamp or something that can go across the top of the aquarium that will provide the support the plastic piece does?

Suggestions?

My tank is well established and I hate to break it up If I don't need to. Do they make aquariums without the plastic support piece? I am sure it would happen again if I replaced it with the same type aquarium

marm64
08/23/2006, 08:54 PM
I believe the plastic brace is pretty important in keeping the sides from bowing out. I think that almost all tanks have the center brace in them. I rember someone else having this problem and they were told that you can but the top brace for the tank. I would think with a little bit of work on your part you could do this with the tank full.

Mark

raven567
08/23/2006, 10:54 PM
If the cracks are in the middle of the center brace, you could get some acrylic strips to strengthen it. Just run one above and one below, drill through and install nylon bolts. At least it would take some of the stress off the cracks.

I've read that some people cut out the center brace and replace it with acrylic in that way so none of their light is blocked out.

Steve

stacerbean
08/24/2006, 10:27 AM
Fireview you should be able to fix it by bracing it. I would hate to see you tear dwon your tank just because of that. If you need an extra pair of hands to help drop Stacey an email or pm and she will let me know.

Bob aka stacerbean's husband