PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify what type of disease this is on my clownfish? (pic)

vessxpress1
08/22/2006, 05:06 PM
There aren't many people in the fish disease forum so I thought I'd try here.

I already lost a coral beauty and purple dottyback to this. Now my maroon clown has developed the same sort of thing on his mouth and seems to be breathing heavily. Symptoms are they just hide in the dark and won't eat. They develop some sort of white stuff by their gill or mouth. Thankfully, I got this guy to eat some Formula 2 flakes tonight. Don't know what tomorrow will bring. Here's what it looks like:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f203/vessxpress1/tank1/disease.jpg

GlobaLPimP
08/22/2006, 05:22 PM
looks like a scratch in the picture - does it look like a parasite in person or a scratch?

vessxpress1
08/22/2006, 05:29 PM
It just looks like white tissue under it's mouth. I know it's not the best picture but it moves around a lot and is mostly staying in the shaded are towards the back of my BTA now.

That white that is lower and in the middle is another section of it and the little spec on the lower left side under the mouth is part of it also.

Sk8r
08/22/2006, 05:34 PM
Given it's a clown, likely Brooklynella. Google it on the web. The only other possibility would be Marine Velvet, and I'm betting on Brook.

vessxpress1
08/22/2006, 05:35 PM
Here's where the dottyback developed it:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f203/vessxpress1/tank1/dottybackcircled.jpg

Sk8r
08/22/2006, 05:38 PM
Well, if you've got a dottyback with it, then I'd lean to Velvet.

vessxpress1
08/22/2006, 05:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7991894#post7991894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Well, if you've got a dottyback with it, then I'd lean to Velvet.

Thanks Sk8r. I'm not really up on fish diseases besides ich since I've never had problems with any other type. The dottyback died a few days ago. It would just sit in a shaded area and stare at the back of the tank. Would not eat. I had it for about 10 months.

The clown I've had for about 6 months. The coral beauty I added last weekend and I'm sure it brought this into the tank althought it was fine at the store.

vessxpress1
08/22/2006, 07:08 PM
It turns out I COULD be over-reacting a little. The stuff could be slime off the BTA that stuck on him. I had to move some stuff around and a rock accidentally fell on some tentacles and damaged a couple. I'm not 100%.

I gave it a freshwater dip for about 40 seconds just to be safe. I hate doing freshwater dips but I know they will give the fish temperary relief if there is something. 95% of it is off of it now.

What's the longest somebody has done a freshwater dip for? I know the longer, the more affective it is but I get nervous when the fish sits down on the bottom, stops moving it's fins and starts falling over. I know they can go longer but I didn't want to stress it anymore, especially since I'm wondering if there's a problem. I didn't feed the tank yesterday because of other problems so I expected it to feed agressively as usual today and it didn't. It didn't want mysis but did eat some Formula 2 flakes.
Have to see what happens tomorrow.

650-IS350
08/23/2006, 10:39 AM
I read somewhere some person does FW dips for 3mins...

reefbuzz
09/06/2006, 07:01 AM
According to Stephen Pro, even a 2 min dip won't do a thing, and preferably 10-15 min.