PDA

View Full Version : Red Tide

rslinger
08/22/2006, 08:29 PM
Has anyone ever had a red tide outbreak in a closed system before? Maybe from adding snails or seined animals????? Im looking to start a gulf coast species tank and I know red tide has been south of Manasota Key Rd bridge. Do you think if I went north to like north casey key I would be ok?:smokin:

Agu
08/22/2006, 09:48 PM
I picked up some ceriths and blue leg hermits last week in Sarasota bay behind Mote. I think you'd be pushing it at this point going to Casey Key. Red tide is reported as far north as Siesta Key.

fwiw,

myakkareef
08/23/2006, 06:12 AM
AGU, are you using these in any of your tanks that contain corals? If so have you ever seen them mesing with corals? Have you seen them eating any nuisance algae? Or are you feeding them to the Mantis or pistol? Also did you sein these or just pick them from the shallows?

Agu
08/23/2006, 08:14 AM
They went into a reef tank with no apparent problems. The mantis gets fed coquinas when there isn't red tide around.

I tried snorkeling in about 3" of water but I didn't find any snails/hermits. So I just scooped up handfuls of sand and seperated the shells from the sand. It really wasn't very effective though. Found about 50 cerith shells and only 5 of them were occupied. Good thing I like mucking around in the water lol.

I also checked out some pilings but there were no snails to be found there.

If anybody has a better technique I'd appreciate hearing it.