PDA

View Full Version : Feedings

bklynreef
08/23/2006, 09:40 AM
I would like to know what everyone thinks about feeding your tank corals and fish. Pros v Cons
Do you all turn off all your pumps and returns during feeding for 10-15 minutes like I do or just leave everything running.
I do this to get more feeding time out of the tank and less waste.
someone told me that im wearing out my pumps by turning them on and off everyday during feeding. Is there any validity to what im being told? I would think there would be a remote possibilty.
Chime in, id like to hear you all.

bklynreef
08/23/2006, 11:17 AM
doesnt anyone feed anymore?

jeffbrig
08/23/2006, 11:33 AM
I don't turn off anything when I feed (even though my Tunze controller has a "feed timer" function). In fact, I hold my frozen blender mush (homemade) in front of a pump outlet or powerhead and use that to disperse food in the tank. I think it helps ensure that everything in the tank gets some food. If it means a little gets skimmed out before someone has a chance to eat it, I'm fine with that.

bklynreef
08/23/2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the input jeff, Im setting up a new tank and wondering if I want the switches for turn off on the main floor instead of only the basement. Its also a pain to wire it to turn off from upstairs anyway. too many wires to run as it is.

2fishy
08/23/2006, 11:39 AM
I turn off my filter & 1 pump during feeding. I really hate cleaning decaying food out of the filter!:D I keep one pump running to keep the food circulating. About 15 minutes later I turn the other pump on, and then about 15 minutes after that I turn the filter back on. I don't seem to find any food in the filter or the pumps then and I don't tend to see my hermit crabs killing each other either. I started doing this when, my rooky side bought a Mandarin, but found that he would eat mysis and brine shrimp if he had time to get it, although he has become fairly fast at chasing food over the last few weeks! I tried shutting all of the pumps off but found that the food just sunk, and not all of my fish are smart enough to look down!