PDA

View Full Version : Email from ACIII help requested

Lutefisk
08/23/2006, 12:58 PM
I've yet to be successful and sending email from the ACIII itself. AquaNotes will send test emails just fine but even after trying a variety of configurations I have yet to be able to successfully send an email from the controller itself.

Here are some results from telnet'ing into the ACIII and running the following commands:

1 maild
cons
mail

First, with authorization off:

1m amaild

AquaController> cons

AquaController> mail

AquaController> SMTP: server = cebd45cf
SMTP: fdopen OK

SMTP: mailhost --> 220-elasmtp-spurfowl.atl.sa.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 4.34 #1 Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:48:15 -0400

SMTP: mailhost <--
SMTP: HELO neptunesys.com

SMTP: mailhost --> 220-NO UCE. EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or network

SMTP: MAIL FROM: <ac3@mindspring.com>

SMTP: mailhost --> 220 equipment to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited e-mail.

SMTP: RCPT TO: <pomail@mindspring.com>

SMTP: mailhost --> 250 elasmtp-spurfowl.atl.sa.earthlink.net Hello neptunesys.com [24.110.120.255]

SMTP: RCPT TO: <pogne@mindspring.com>

SMTP: mailhost --> 250 OK

SMTP: DATA

SMTP: mailhost --> 550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication.

SMTP: unexp reply: 550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication.

Then, with authorization enabled:

1 maild

AquaController> cons

AquaController> mail

AquaController> SMTP: server = cdbd45cf
SMTP: fdopen OK

SMTP: mailhost --> 220-elasmtp-kukur.atl.sa.earthlink.net ESMTP Exim 4.34 #1 Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:51:37 -0400

SMTP: HELO neptunesys.com

SMTP: mailhost --> 220-NO UCE. EarthLink does not authorize the use of its computers or network

SMTP: auth login

SMTP: mailhost --> 220 equipment to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited e-mail.

SMTP: YWMzQG1pbmRzcHJpbmcuY29t

SMTP: mailhost --> 250 elasmtp-kukur.atl.sa.earthlink.net Hello neptunesys.com [24.110.120.255]

SMTP: cGFyYWRveA==

SMTP: mailhost --> 503 AUTH command used when not advertised

SMTP: unexp reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised

SMTP server - smtpauth.earthlink.net

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

clp
08/23/2006, 05:36 PM
It looks like there is nothing setup in the email to: and email from: fields.

Curt

Lutefisk
08/24/2006, 06:51 AM
Hi Curt,

Actually, there is data in the Email To: and Email from: fields and I've verified that they are correct.

In fact, looking at a prior log from telnet I discovered that I previously had a "." (period) in the "to" field where I should have had a "@" based upon an error that was reported.

I don't know why it's not showing up from telnet.

Part of what confuses me is that when I have authorizaion off the log ends with

SMTP: mailhost --> 550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication.

SMTP: unexp reply: 550 Please configure your mail client to use authentication.

But when I have authorization on the log ends with:
SMTP: mailhost --> 503 AUTH command used when not advertised

SMTP: unexp reply: 503 AUTH command used when not advertised

clp
08/24/2006, 10:04 PM
Please send me an email (support@neptunesys.com) with your email to and from address as well as the smtp server. It appears that there is something strange with your smtp server.

Curt

Lutefisk
08/25/2006, 07:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8008369#post8008369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clp
Please send me an email (support@neptunesys.com) with your email to and from address as well as the smtp server. It appears that there is something strange with your smtp server.

Curt

Thank you! I'm sending the PM right now.

Paul

dougchambers
09/06/2006, 10:49 PM
Paul,

Was Curt able to get this worked out for you? I don't want to derail your thread, but did you ever get a message like this?

AquaController Login
login: admin
password: *******

AquaController> cons
AquaController> 1 maild
AquaController> mail
AquaController> SMTP: mail.chambersohana.com unkn host

I get the same return with and without AUTH enabled.
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gate: 67.41.38.194 (from router - Internet)
DNS: 205.171.3.65

-Doug

Lutefisk
09/07/2006, 07:33 AM
Curt did a great job and got my problem worked out but it was a different problem than you appear to be having.

When I first looked at your telnet log it appeared like it might be a bad DNS address based upon the "unkn host" error message. But, it appears that your DNS is just fine. There is something at that address that responds to pings and will let you telnet into on port 25. The problem is that it is not responding like a SMTP server.

In your case, at this point, the problem does not seem to lay with your AUTH settings.

Is there a public website you can point us towards that has the instructions for setting up email for your service provider?

Paul

clp
09/07/2006, 10:55 AM
I think your gateway address is incorrect. It is likely some thing like 192.168.XXX.XXX. The gateway address is usually your router's internal IP address and is also the same as your PCs default route/default gateway. To get the configuration of your PC run 'ipconfig /all' from a cmd shell.

Curt

dougchambers
09/07/2006, 11:24 AM
Curt,

I'm sure you are right. I originally had the gateway at 192.168.1.1 but didn't have the SMTP Auth setup. I haven't tried the orignal gateway since I updated the SMTP Auth and password section.

I'll try that tonight.

Thanks guys,

Doug

slavearm
09/07/2006, 01:51 PM
Many email servers will not allow an email to be sent with a From address not part of its' email domain. So if you are using earthlink's mail server, make sure you have a From: address that is @earthlink.com. Also some mailservers will reject mail where the from and to fields are the same.

HTH

dougchambers
09/07/2006, 06:01 PM
We are in... Curt was right (as usual) our gateway was still set for the WAN instead of the LAN. It wasn't working before because I didn't have the Auth and Auth passwords loaded which my SMTP requires.

Looks good... Now to program some alarms!