PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

runngt
08/23/2006, 01:09 PM
I have been keeping a 55 gallon fresh water tank for about two years and wanting a salt water tank. I found a deal on a used 125 gallon oceanic tank with the following included. one penn-plax cascade model 1500 filter, one marineland emperor 400 bio-wheel, one sea storm fluidized bed filter, two 36" lights single tube and four 36" lights with two 18" bulbs.
The tank came with a bunch of decorative coral and rocks not live rock and verious other things including two 5 gallon buckets of substrate.
The orginal plan was to start with live rock and work up to fish as funds allow. After reading and doing some research I was going to just a fish only and add live rock as funds allow. I am now second guessing if I have enough flitration for a full out reef set up. Is a protien skimmer required in a fish only? Do I need further filtration? This seem a little more complex than a fresh water set up. I am shooting for the end of next month to get up and running. I am looking to house about five to six fish (type is undecided) with live rock, corals and I would really like some anemones. What other equipment do I need to look at adding for safe keeping of my live stock? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

runngt

MCary
08/23/2006, 01:13 PM
Looks like, based on your list, the only usable item for a reef is the tank. Filters are no good or not needed and the lights are not powerful enough. Sorry.

Mike

eclecticvibe
08/23/2006, 01:14 PM
You need to buy a book as your first piece of equipment. Reef systems are very complex. Don't jump into this too fast or you'll waste a lot of money. More than likely you'd need upgrades to support a captive reef.

BurntOutReefer
08/23/2006, 01:21 PM
You will finds lots of differing opnions on this board.
Regarding your original plan, everything you have is usable. As you transition over to corals, you might/will have to upgrade you lights (depending on what you want to keep).
You filters will need to be serviced out.....but for a Fish only/FOWLR tamk ....you can use it all right now.
IMO/IME

BurntOutReefer
08/23/2006, 01:22 PM
and read.

runngt
08/23/2006, 01:40 PM
Okay so the new plan will be fish and decor only for now. Will a protien skimmer be required for fish only?

runngt

BurntOutReefer
08/23/2006, 01:43 PM
IMO...no....they'll handle nitrates ok.....

runngt
08/23/2006, 01:52 PM
The live rock does not need vho lights correct? If not I can start adding live rock and fish now and work up to corals and other things later with new lights and filtration.

BurntOutReefer
08/23/2006, 02:05 PM
neah....(IMO/IME)...you'll be ok.....you might wanna even try getting some 'shrooms and placing them on top of the rock near the lights.....might have some success growing them....and a good practice session for when you decide to get further into keeping corals......
NOTE: when and if you decide to go full blown Reef (IMO and awaits flames)...dont waste your $$$ on PC VHO etc.....just go straight to MH's......