PDA

View Full Version : algae getting contaminated

chico_andrade
08/23/2006, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I have been having a problem with my algae cultures. They get contaminated with a cyanophyta all the time. I read in the hoff´s plakton culture manual that it may be caused by centralized air system ( coming from a hot room to the cool algae room, condensing inside the pipe so that the cyanos grows inside the pipe), so I broke the air tubing and put an air pump solely for the algae inside the cool room. I have started new cultures and within some time they all get contaminated. I use chlorine and UV to sterilize the saltwater (natural). Any thoughts??

chico

ediaz
08/23/2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah,

Use plastic bags, sealed and discard when done, don't reuse, run your air through a floss/carbon filter before the air manifold and if the probelm persists incoporate an UV lamp to your air filtration.

Ed

chico_andrade
08/24/2006, 05:45 AM
Thanks Ed,

I will incorporate the uv in the air line. May I put the floss/carbon in the inlet of the airpump? And to seal the bags ? Cotton ?

[]´s
chico

ediaz
08/24/2006, 08:11 AM
Try the carbon filter first( i have a pic of it in my gallery) if that does not work, add the uv before the carbon filter.

I use 20 gal. Zip Lock bags, you can use smaller for the algae, once you close them you stick the rigid airline and is slightly under pressure, have not had a crash in months.

Ed