PDA

View Full Version : LTA won't eat...HELP!!!

ukcats
08/23/2006, 05:08 PM
Hello all. 3 weeks ago I purchased a LTA from the fish store and to date he has not eaten anything. My lighting is very good, 250 MH 192 Actinic compact flourecent. I don't have any trites or trates. SG is right at 1.025 and the Anenome is in a med. flow area. Any reason why it hasn't eaten? Any ideas? I have tried scallops and raw shrimp. This is my first Anenome and I would like it to live for longer than a few weeks. Thanks for your help!

davocean
08/23/2006, 05:29 PM
Try a silverside.
They really don't need that much, and light is a big source of fuel for them which you have plenty.
Still, mine has never refused a meal.
Maybe he's still acclimating.
Give a little more time, but don't stress too much yet.

jjirsa78
08/23/2006, 05:49 PM
Is it buried, or floating around?

I also recommend silversides, frozen is fine, just touch the silverside to the oral disk near the mouth, and it should close in almost immediately...

MCary
08/23/2006, 05:51 PM
What does he look like? I have seen some miserable anemones in fish stores. He should have a base color brown. This is zoanthelae. This is their major food source. Over that they may be green or red or have colored tips. If the anemone was a pure white, then it is bleached and may be on its way out. Some might recover, I don't know, I've always avoided purchasing any white anemone's.

Mike

davocean
08/23/2006, 06:02 PM
I didn't even think of asking about bleaching, good point.
On the lighter side of that note, I got my nems over 4 years ago, long b4 I read this site and new nothing about bleaching.
Both my nems were bleached out petco refugees, but they recovered and both are fine.

ukcats
08/23/2006, 07:52 PM
Yes it is bleached then. He is basically an off white color with green tips. However, I have noticed it getting a little darker lately.