PDA

View Full Version : green star not opening

kodyboy
08/23/2006, 06:35 PM
Has anyone else had their green star polyps close up for days at a time? Mine closed up right when I added a pair of silver scats (aptasia control). I watched the scats for hours, they are not eating the coral or bothering it in any way. I did a few water changes, but no difference. Any thoughts?
Thanks

TKByrnes
08/23/2006, 06:42 PM
mine have closed up for a week at a time but...... when they come back out they dont have the color that they did. how much flow are they in? how long have you had them? what are your params?

kodyboy
08/23/2006, 06:46 PM
TK,
I added a seio 820 that hits the front glass and goes back over the various polyp colonies (they are all over the tank, it is not just one colony). I have 250 watt 20K metal halide lighting plus 2 65 watt powercompacts. I will have to check the exact water parameters, but the other corals are all out and look fine.
Thanks

TKByrnes
08/23/2006, 06:49 PM
were they out before you added the new pump? if so there may be too much flow for them. check the params. if none of the colonies are opening then maybe something is out of wack!

kodyboy
08/23/2006, 07:44 PM
TKByrnes,
Thanks for the reply. I turned off the seio to see if that has any effect. I checked the tank parameters, and all seems well.
Scott

JeepTJ
08/23/2006, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8000398#post8000398 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kodyboy
TKByrnes,
Thanks for the reply. I turned off the seio to see if that has any effect. I checked the tank parameters, and all seems well.
Scott

I wouldn't worry too much - I've had mine disappear for days, only to start coming out again for weeks. I've had them receed from growing one direction, only to surge in the other, then start growing back in the other direction.

I'd say no matter what I do to my tank, they're the one thing that never has a problem readjusting.