PDA

View Full Version : There is no "right" way to do this hobby

johnnstacy
08/24/2006, 11:29 AM
This is just an observation and strictly my own opinion. Over the past couple of years I have been trying to establish an SOP (standard operating procedure) for running my tank. I have used much of what I have learned on Reef Central. But what's strange is that the more I learn, the farther I get from a "standard". There are so many variables in a tank and setup that no two people will likely have the same SOP. Here are just a few of the variables I am speaking of. There are no right or wrongs here. Just tons of people doing things different ways:

bb or sand bed (and further by depth of sand bed)
Phosban or no phosban
Carbon or no carbon
Skimmer or no skimmer (and further by type of)
Manual coral feeding or fish waste coral feeding
DE's or SE's (and further by maker and wattage)
T5's or MH
Actinics or white
Long photoperiod or short photoperiod
Calcium reactor or drip kalk
Oznone or no ozone
UV or no UV
Filter sock or no filter sock
High flow, medium flow or low flow

There are just a few. There are tons. My point is that it doesn't do a lot of good to try and copy another persons setup. Fish load, aquascaping, even the type and pourousity of the rock can make a difference from tank to tank. My opinion is that the best and really, the only thing we can do is gather information and test what works on our own tanks. Of that entire list above, there are no right or wrongs. Just opinions and what works for a particular tank.

Just my .02

John :rollface:

somethingphishy
08/24/2006, 11:35 AM
I like what you have to say........that's one of the reasons why i feel peole love this hobby. We are all differnt and like to keep the theme going with our tanks. Why conform to the norm, just do what you feel works for you.

reefinmike
08/24/2006, 11:38 AM
what works for me is lots of rock, good flow, good lighting, low bioload, lots of coral, large sump, good skimmer, good fuge, and weekly 20% water changes. i think that should work for everyone...

johnnstacy
08/24/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8004206#post8004206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefinmike
what works for me is lots of rock, good flow, good lighting, low bioload, lots of coral, large sump, good skimmer, good fuge, and weekly 20% water changes. i think that should work for everyone...

That's pretty much my point. Good flow, good lighting; it's all relative. "Good" for one may not be good for another. Some run without a fuge with great success. Many run without a skimmer including some very well known authors with great success.

MJAnderson
08/24/2006, 12:01 PM
I agree John. It's fun reading everyone's discussion as to why their slant on the hobby is correct. With so little real scientific evidence or testing of the equipment we use or the animals we keep, it's impossible to isolate any one factor or a combination of factors as being critical for success.

What I wouldn't give for a side by side testing of skimmers in a controlled environment...

somethingphishy
08/24/2006, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8004206#post8004206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefinmike
Did this guy miss the point or was i way off???????

nmprisons
08/24/2006, 12:08 PM
there is no "right" way to do it, but there certainly are tons of wrong ways to do it!

hangles
08/24/2006, 12:09 PM
probibly did not read you complete post sounds like he skimmed it:lol: Anyway the diversity in this hobbie is what keeps me interested. just when you think you got a handle on it nature throws you a curve ball :D

Sk8r
08/24/2006, 12:16 PM
I've had a number of reef tanks, ranging from a 30-long algae farm on a Penguin that had really healthy fish and some corals, to a 100g with a 50g sump with softies [started with NO live rock or or skimmer [a huge wet-dry] or water changes, with crushed coral substrate: I used a d/e filter periodically ] to the modern Berliner method 52g mh reef I have now, and all I can say is, each and every one of them differed significantly, not just in equipment, but in chemistry and demands.

There are nine and twenty ways
Of writing tribal lays
And each and every one of them
Is right---Macaulay.

BigBadBrain
08/24/2006, 12:19 PM
I agree that there is no single solution - even in nature each reef will have something different that affects how it works and maintains stasis. I live in an area where cold water reefs are sometimes spectacular (in there own way) and the balance is maintained in ways totally alien to a tropical water reef. I think one lesson we can take from our hobby - reefs are sensitive to change and we are in the middle of a big one it seems...

I also agree - there are a lot of opportunities to do things the wrong way!

Acroholic
08/24/2006, 12:50 PM
Great point John.... $.02 well spent.....
I am here on RC to learn as much as I can, and to try to be as much help as I can to others, to ask questions and take what I can from every answer/opinion or opinionated answer thrown my way...good or bad...the bottom line is...... it's all good!
Peace !:D

newtophish
08/24/2006, 01:28 PM
I would have to totally agree. When I started this hobby everyone told I could not do what I wanted I did it anyway and all worked fine. Research, research, research and then do what you feel is best is my best advise.

Tu Ku
08/24/2006, 01:41 PM
Research and observation is hands down the most important standard operating procedure, but I would have to agree with the majority, that from tank to tank there probably is no other hobby that varies more. And so there is no one procedure for keeping our systems running. As obvious as this is, however, so many people still are convinced that they know the answers to questions that they don't really have any idea about at all.

cham
08/24/2006, 01:52 PM
I agree with all above.

Any rule of reef keeping you can think of, there is someone on this board that is breaking that rule and being sucessful at it too.

As others have said, reasearch all you can and make an inteligent (NOT EMOTIONAL) decision from there.

outy
08/24/2006, 02:10 PM
its called REEF SKILLS if you got em you can make almost and i use that with caution almost any set up work with certain short comings. if you dont have the skills you could kill the TOTM in a short stroke.

if you take all the mistakes in this hobbie the rite way even with johnstaceys list is actually a narrow path to success.

remember this is like gardening and were not all growing the same thing, this is why the diversity.

[i think i spent more then my two cents lol]

phenom5
08/24/2006, 02:14 PM
great post...

i think Eric Borneman summed it up best in his book, Aquarium Corals...

there is no "right" or "wrong" way to maintain corals in an aquarium, except to fully admit that mother nature does it right...and we often do it wrong.
-Eric Borneman

somethingphishy
08/24/2006, 04:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8005224#post8005224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phenom5
great post...

i think Eric Borneman summed it up best in his book, Aquarium Corals...

there is no "right" or "wrong" way to maintain corals in an aquarium, except to fully admit that mother nature does it right...and we often do it wrong.
-Eric Borneman
that is an excelent quote.