PDA

View Full Version : Stupid filter mistake, what should I do now.

sailbuminsd
08/24/2006, 11:46 AM
My FOWLR tank was cycled, but then my filter stopped working. I bought another filter, but did not use the media from the old filter (the mistake). Now, my tank is re-cycling. Planning on doing a 15g water change tonight (on a 55g). I'm freaking out about my little guys. What else can I do??? I hate to medicate my tank, but if it helps I'll do it.

Sal. 1.023 (?, Sorry I am working off memory)
pH 8.1
Am .7
Nitrite .4 (?)
Nitrate 40

Sk8r
08/24/2006, 11:53 AM
No, no, don't medicate. Do you have a sandbed? Lot of live rock? Any cycle should be shallow and brief if you have biological activity, and in this instance, I'm iffy about the water change: the water is where a lot of your bacteria lives.

Wait for other advice, but there are some products that will take out that nitrate. There is Amquel, which I think does for ammonia---can't remember, because I haven't had the problem in a decade, and things have changed on me. The nitrate is bad, the ammonia not good, but this isn't totally outrageous for a FOWLR having a glitch. Your salinity s/b around that: I run 1.025 with corals and fish. Good you're testing, and your results give a picture that's worth some attention, but not, I think, desperate measures.

You might lace your food with garlic, just as a precaution, and if anybody does come down with something, quarantine and don't treat the tank. The only in-display medication I'd ever consider is Maracyn [it's a major part of red slime removers]...but it has so many consequences to the sandbed I'd do it only as the last choice even for that. I don't think the tank is crashing, but a medication that is meant to kill bacteria is not what I'd recommend in there right now: broad-spectrum bactericides don't discriminate between the good and the bad bacteria, your sandbed bacteria vs the infectious bacteria. Medication might tip the tank right over into a crash.

sailbuminsd
08/24/2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks Sk8r.

75 lbs LR
2.5 in LS

Sk8r
08/24/2006, 12:06 PM
You're going to be fine with that live rock and sand. I'd get a bottle of amquel as a standby, and test frequently to see if the levels are getting worse, then use it if the trend is worsening. I checked my own bottle of Amquel+, and it gets rid of nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. Always dose via the sump if you have that option, and I'd premix it in a cup to water, to boot.

Caution: Amquel may lower oxygen content of the water. I'd run serious aeration during use if you have open-water species like triggers, tangs, angels. They need more oxygen than bottom-dwellers. Read the label carefully. And don't use it if your tank is starting to handle the problem on its own.

WaterKeeper
08/24/2006, 12:07 PM
Hi Heather,

I'm not sure what you mean by filter. Are you talking about a hang on the back (HOB) biofilter, a wet/dry or perhaps a skimmer? In a four year old tank the only malfunction the may cause a cycle is a skimmer that ceases to work. The others type filters should make no difference with a good quantity of LR and a tank which isn't overloaded.

For the moment I'd count on water changes to get that ammonia down. I'd also remove any biofilters, skimmer excepted, and add another inch or so of LS. You can do that without upsetting your tank. I'd also raise the salinity to 1.025-1.026 but that can be done over time.

Also make sure you are not missing any livestock as that is a more likely cause of an ammonia spike.

Sk8r
08/24/2006, 12:20 PM
Heather, WaterKeeper's the Man on the topic: if he says water changes, that's what I'd do.

sailbuminsd
08/24/2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks Waterkeeper. LOL, nope, I know I'm not missing any fish. Although I had a free-loading hermit crab that I haven't seen in a while. Pretty sure the trigger got 'em.

This tank isn't 4 years old, I am just getting back into the hobby. This tank is only 8 weeks old. I bought an existing tank (with the LR & LS), so it cycled within 2 weeks. It came with a Niger Trigger. And on week 3 I bought a huma huma. Everything as moving along, minimal cycle with the new addition. I did add more LR 2 weeks ago, from an existing tank. Perhaps that is the problem...

Skimmer is working fine (RedSea Berlin). By filter, I mean the hang on the back kind (AquaClear). We'll see what the tests look like tonight.

WaterKeeper
08/24/2006, 12:27 PM
Right on Heather and I be inclined to use that AquaClear for you quarantine tank or something.

sailbuminsd
08/24/2006, 12:34 PM
Waterkeeper - Thank you, btw

By "right on", did you mean it is probably the LR or that I should test more tonight and do a water change? (or all of the above)

Do you think a hang-on-the-back is not needed if I have a Skimmer? or do you just not like the AquaClear filter?

SBJim
08/24/2006, 12:45 PM
I strongly doubt that the new media in the aquaclear filter caused the problem. That stuff is made to be swapped out from time to time, and it's tiny compared to 75 lbs of live rock. I suggest doing a water change, and then doing another water change in a day or two, then see where you end up.

sailbuminsd
08/24/2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks, I should have thought about the LR sooner.