PDA

View Full Version : Adyssea T5 fixtures

BayHeli
08/24/2006, 06:12 PM
I am using Odyssea 4x65w PC fixture right now. I am thinking about changing it to Odyssea 4x54w T5 fixture in the future. It may not produce more light than other T5 fixtures. However, it won't cost me arms and legs also. My tank dimension is 48"Wx 23"Dx20"W.

Do you think it will better than my current PC fixture? Can I keep most of the Corals including SPS? I am thinking about adding individual reflectors to this new T5 fixture. Where can I buy the reflectors?

Here is the link to this T-5 fixuture.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=239

McCrary
08/24/2006, 06:30 PM
Odyssea fixtures are known for very poor workmanship. You may want to look into Aqua Medic ocean lights. They utilize both metal halides and T5 actinics and would be one of my top choices for an all in one system. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

theatrus
08/24/2006, 06:47 PM
No, I wouldn't use those, and not because they're Odyssea. They use a single (not very shiny looking) reflector behind all of the bulbs. T5 is fantastic only when paired with a very good parabolic reflector per bulb. And who uses stainless steel as a reflector anyway? Highly polished aluminum is one of the most reflective materials thats commonly available.

Speckled Grouper
08/24/2006, 07:28 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but Aquatraders has 48" T5 bulbs for $ 7.90. Has anybody used those? Experience?

BayHeli
08/25/2006, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8007009#post8007009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by theatrus
No, I wouldn't use those, and not because they're Odyssea. They use a single (not very shiny looking) reflector behind all of the bulbs. T5 is fantastic only when paired with a very good parabolic reflector per bulb. And who uses stainless steel as a reflector anyway? Highly polished aluminum is one of the most reflective materials thats commonly available.

That's why I want to add the individual reflector. I came across a website that has reflector for sale ($20 each). The total cost with reflector retrofit is still much cheaper than other T-5 fixtures.

Anyone has experience with this Odyssea T-5 fixture?

Thanks

theatrus
08/25/2006, 12:14 PM
If you're going to mod the reflector in, then might as well give it a shot. I think their T5s are new to them so no one has had expierience with buying them

David Grigor
08/25/2006, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I'm all for saving money but in this case your loosing alot to save a little.

When I did par tests with just white and no reflectors number were like 78 vs. potential of 212. That's more than double. So reflectors are key, while the flat reflector is probably better than just white background it's not too far off, your probably getting about as much light as 2 bulbs with high-quality reflector but using twice as much electricity ( and bulb replacement costs ) to do it. Not to mention the possible quality issues with the components it might be in the trash a year from now.

The bulbs are in there way too close, No way your going to fit individual reflector in there to even retrofit it without reducing the number of bulbs.

Just buy the individual components and make your own with high quality parts.