PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of coral dips?

bureau13
08/24/2006, 11:57 PM
I noticed Kent has a coral dip called Tech-D or something like that, which they recommend for most corals (they did say no anemones or polyps). I also read a couple threads about various dips people use for corals, most including some concentration of Lugols, etc. I'm curious as to how effective, and how coral-safe, these dips are, and if they can in any way be used as a substitute for quarantining?

I quarantine fish, but I have never quarantined anything else. I think fish have the largest danger when not quarantining...what is the consensus on disp vs coral qt vs. straight-to-the-display?

jds

neotekz
08/25/2006, 03:08 AM
u don;t need to quarentine corals. i'm probably going to get flamed for this but i only acclimate for temp(float the bag for 20mins) then just throw them in the tank. i used to drip acclimate my corals but was told by my LFS, i know but this is one of the good ones, that u don't need to drip acclimate corals. they gave me a money back guarantee and said that's how they have been doing things for years. so i did and i have not lost one coral from acclimate. i've even acclimate a few anemones(bta and haddoni) this way.

sorry for not answering your question about the dips though, i've never used them. usually sick corals just die i;ve never had one that inflected others. maybe sps can carry something not sure

Waxxiemann
08/25/2006, 04:29 AM
If you dip you can help to prevent AEFW's and red bugs. It's one of those things, super easy to prevent but a royal PITA to fix when it's to late.

HTH

Waxx

Waxxiemann
08/25/2006, 04:30 AM
I heard this one is good:

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/pro-coral-cure.htm

bureau13
08/25/2006, 08:56 AM
Another thing that's been bothering me lately is that many LFS keep fish in with their corals. What is to prevent free-swimming ich or velvet parasites from becoming hijackers? I don't know if the dip would help that however....I guess not letting any of the water into the display would help.

Stuff like red bugs, flatworms or nudis are another thing I'd like to avoid importing, and I think the dips do help with those (at least that's the claim). I'll check out that tropic marin dip as well, thanks...

jds