PDA

View Full Version : Puffer Experts!! Help PLease!

XtrmCHoPZ
08/25/2006, 12:57 AM
I know quite a bit about puffers but need to know the best way to rid one of internal parasites?? I am 95% convinced that my Stellatus has some form of intestinal worm/bug........I feed him 3 times a day, along with my others, and he NEVER gains any weight. I'll try to post a pic, but he looks really skinny around the belly. Also he will sometimes flash or swim around the tank sproradically rubbing against the walls and rocks. I know that is a symptom of ich or oodinium but the fish has neither. I read some time ago something about garlic?? Any advise would be Stellar!

T-T-Trigger
08/25/2006, 09:10 AM
if you asked linear chaos on grimreefers dot com, in the puff forum, i know she could give you a definitive answer. good luck.

XtrmCHoPZ
08/25/2006, 01:21 PM
thanks

LRS078
08/27/2006, 11:28 PM
praziquantel (prazipro is the brand name you need) and generic vetrinary pipcine (dewormer). The pipcine is no longer made in marine specific brand dosages but a good vets office or online store should be able to get it for you. The prazipro should be easier...LFS or usual online suspects.

Those two will knock out the more stubborn internal parasite issues puffers can load up on including specifically nematode type infestations. Does the puffer's stool appear as harder linear clumps or more of a "chunky milkshake" discharge?

From both what I"ve read and testing garlic on my own stable of puffers it is an apetite stimulant that some respond to and some don't. If you still have a parasite load you are not fixing anything w/o the proper anti parasitic. However, if you can get the fish to eat spectrum thera pellets (blue container) they are supposed to have some anti parasitic properties but certainly not strong enough to rely on alone.

Keep us posted...