PDA

View Full Version : how to measure ALK of calcium reactor effluent

dmilne85
08/25/2006, 01:15 AM
I just set up a korallin calcium reactor today and im a bit confused on how to measure the alkilinity of the effluent. it says it is supposed to be around 25 (somethings)? what units would this be dkh or Meq/L. i have a salifert kh test kit. my main question is how to measure the alk of the effluent. am i supposed to do the test differently since the water coming out of the reactor has an alk level thats off the charts of the test kit?

Billybeau1
08/25/2006, 08:20 AM
Give this a look until JD stops by. :)

Calcium Reactor set up calculator.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

dmilne85
08/25/2006, 09:39 AM
ahh thanks, that link explained how to do it. i just have to dilute the sample with 50% aquarium water then after im done testing as i normaly would i just multiply by 2.

vicmiller
08/25/2006, 09:52 AM
I just tested the effluent on my reactor for the 1st time today. Instructions for using selfert kit were as follows; Collect a 2ml sample of the effulent, add 1 drop of dkh regent, fill syrenge with 1 ml kh regent, add to sample dropwise until sample turns orange. Multiply amount of kh regent used by 32 for dkh. I got 28 after 5 days running.

dmilne85
08/25/2006, 09:06 PM
i guess there is multiple ways to do this. seems like the way described in the calcium reactor calculator web page is a little bit easier.