PDA

View Full Version : How does this fish list sound to many?

pumpdogs
08/25/2006, 06:56 AM
10 green chromis,1 hippo tang,3 yellows tangs,1 midas blennie.In a 180 gal soft coral tank.

KDodds
08/25/2006, 07:05 AM
In a 180? Fine. In fact, I think you can probably consider a few more SMALL (5" or under at adult size) fish, depending on your equipment, of course. Personally, and this is pure personal aesthetics, I'd work the Chromis school down to six and make room for a little more variety.

nmprisons
08/25/2006, 07:06 AM
fine

pumpdogs
08/25/2006, 02:25 PM
Do you think the 3 yellow tangs will be a problem?

KDodds
08/25/2006, 02:33 PM
How do you mean? With one another, possibly, there's always that risk when housing more than one of most SW species, or even genus or family sometimes.

Travis L. Stevens
08/25/2006, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't recommend 3 yellow tangs in any tank smaller than about 250-300g. Especially when you tag on a Regal Tang. I would drop two of the Yellow Tangs, make sure that the remaining Yellow and Regal Tang get along, and then search for a few different, non-tang fish that you like. Maybe some sort of wrasse or possibly some Anthias?

yoboyjdizz
08/25/2006, 02:54 PM
i think you will be fine..i would probably also drop your chromis to about 5-7 or they will eventually do it for you... As for the three yellow tangs it could work. I would get them all very small and add them at the same time and last to your tank. As they get bigger they could just get use to eachother or a dominant pair might form and kill the weaker one or one dominant one and kill the weaker two. Its a risk but latly have seen alot of short term success with.

woodstock '69
08/25/2006, 03:25 PM
You'll never know for sure how individuals might act but if you're not averse to trading one or two back for others if need be, the tank would surely enjoy the light bioload. Do what you think is right. Seems like you are on the right track reguardless.

Michael

vijaym85
08/25/2006, 04:22 PM
I have 3 yellow tangs, 1purple tang, 1naso, and 1 hippo in a 150.
How do I do it.
Keep yor fish well feed to reduce competition among rival species, namely in this case the purple and yellow tangs. Hungry fish tend be agressive since their body is not busy digesting food. How active are you after a nice big meal right?
Also I can't stress the importnace of shelter enough. Keep lots rocks so that the fish are not always in contact, also the rock allows smaller specimens to hide when being chased and prevents the agressor from following them.
Also tank length is helpful. A 150gallon cube say hypotically 4ft in length would not be very nice for tangs despite the same water volume when compared to a 6ft of the some volume.
As previously mentioned add them all at the same time so no one fish an establish itself as the dominant fish.
Finally when you have this high of a bio load in the tank you better have good filter system, which I think I have got.

Ciarán
08/25/2006, 05:41 PM
I'd work the Chromis school down to six and make room for a little more variety.

Keep 5 or 7 Chromis, they do better in odd numbers in terms of schooling. Add the tangs at the same time and i'd say you will be Ok