PDA

View Full Version : Still having lighting problems...

Raibaru
08/25/2006, 02:36 PM
Lighting is still proving to be a thorn in my side. I'm using just a cheapy light for now while I set the aquarium up and get it running but I need a real, long term solution before to long. Everywhere I go I get different opinions and different solutions and it is really confusing.

Tank Size: 36g Bowfront
Tank Dimensions: 30" x 15" x 20"
Tank Goal: Reef

Lighting Goal: Enough light to provide full coverage in the tank while also providing enough light for the more beginner friendly corals.

Target Corals: Xenia, Ricordia, Torch, Frogspawn, Green Star Polyp, Zoanthid, Mushroom. From what I've found most of these are very hardy and do well under low to moderate light levels with the Xenia and Frogspawn being the more demanding.

Ideal: What I want is a 30" long lighting fixture that mounts onto the aquarium with feet to keep it raised off the aquariums surface. Ceiling mount isn't practical at this time.

Currently, I'm leaning more towards these two seperate systems:
30 inch 2x65 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Orbit Fixture (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01022) : This one seems to fit more what I want but I'm not sure the light it provides will be enough for corals.

Current USA SunPod 30 inch, 1x150W 14000K PowerPaq HQI Lamp & Lunar Lights (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01062) : this is the one I had originally planned to get but I was worried the moonlight LED's wouldn't provide the same kind of blue light that makes aquariums look so great.

Would either setup work for a beginners reef aquarium? If not, could you guys give me some advice for more appropriate lighting needs? I just want to buy a stock system and not have to resort to DIY/Retro kits and I'd much prefer it to be mounted on the aquarium itself rather then dangling from the ceiling.

drillsar
08/25/2006, 03:11 PM
Ok powercompacts stink in my opinion i would go with t-5's like one from sunlight supply. t-5's you have to make sure each bulb has its own reflector.

Ok this is what im told:

Low Light Corals Aim for 2-4 watts per Gal

Moderate 4-6 Watts Per Gal

High 6-10 Watts per Gal (metal halide/T5 Combo i suggest for this)

SeanySean
08/25/2006, 03:16 PM
Don't see why everyone hates PC's I have them and I personally think they are great this is in a tank that is 30" high and I have coraline right at the bottom, they are backed up with halides, but they are too strong for coraline..

theatrus
08/25/2006, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure on the particular bulb used in that MH fixture, but in general 14k looks about like 10k + actinic in an equal mix. The moonlight won't provide you with any daytime blue, just some nighttime blue.

You won't find the bulb used in the fixture, but this list is a great rough guide how different MH bulbs will look: http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

If you go for the MH you could keep even some hardier SPS up higher.

But the 2x65W is not a bad PC fixture by any means.

angelsj247
08/25/2006, 03:25 PM
i dont know why everyone hates pcs also
this is what i have and im pretty happy with it
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ESU-53103&Category_Code=Aqualight

angelsj247
08/25/2006, 03:30 PM
btw my tank is also starting to grow coraline on the bottom rocks. mine has led lights i like them.. there a bit bright so i covered them half way with black duct tape.

Raibaru
08/25/2006, 03:31 PM
Angels, do you keep corals?

UrbanSage
08/25/2006, 03:34 PM
The watts per gallon idea is pretty bad.

In theory imagine a sps needing the light value of a 150w MH being 20" from the bulb.
It really matters little if this sps is in a 10g tank or a 200g tank.
In a 10g tank it will have 15 watts per gallon.
In a 200g tank it will have 0.75 watts per gallon.

The coral will recieve about the same amount of light in both tanks using the same bulb and setup. But the watts per gallon is very different.

Personally I would go with a 150w HQI setup. You wont burn your LPS/Softies and you will have enough light to grow some sps.
Personally I like PFO.

angelsj247
08/25/2006, 03:37 PM
no i dont yet, but i am planning to and before i got this set up i made sure it was ideal for corals and everyone i have talked to said these lights were ok for corals and your tank should be good also

Raibaru
08/25/2006, 04:01 PM
yea, I think I'm going to go with the PC Orbit light. Seems like it will suit my needs pretty good and is a great beginner light.

Thanks again for all the help folks.

rickh
08/25/2006, 09:20 PM
There are no great lights for a 30" tank. I have the 30" Orbit that I added a 3rd tube--see my gallery. The third tube cost about $65 and 30 minutes to add to my Orbit. By the way--I sit the fixture right on the glass cover. No problems R

familyreefer
08/25/2006, 10:22 PM
The MH light will be much brighter than the PC but then you add the heat . On the plus you would not be limited on your coral selection. You could grow anything with enough flow.

rickh
08/25/2006, 11:29 PM
The 150 watt Sunpod is not any better than the PC fixture. It will not illuminate the entire 30" width of the tank evenly and it has no actinic light. You could get a bluer bulb, but the coral still won't "glow". If you want more light, get more technology--T5. R

Raibaru
08/25/2006, 11:53 PM
Yea, I decided to go with the PC one. In time I will get into the swing of things and at a later date I could see myself adding on a third light (be it T5 or MH) but for now I want to stick to the simple stuff.

This is probably a stupid question, but because the lights are "65 watt dual actinic" does this mean the bulb is actually rated at 130 watts? So if down the road and I ask for advice on what I can keep I tell them I have 130w of PC, or what?

SeanySean
08/26/2006, 02:26 AM
yes that is correct

rickh
08/26/2006, 03:35 AM
"65 watt dual actinic" does this mean the bulb is actually rated at 130 watts"
No--- this not what that means at all. The dual actinic refers the bulb that is a 23" long 65 total watt bulb that has two different wavelength of actinic light tubes combined into a single bulb. Dual daylight has two different daylight tubes. You can also get 50:50 bulbs with daylight and actinic combined. RRRRRRRRRR

SeanySean
08/26/2006, 04:51 AM
ahhhh I thought he meant he has 2 x 65 watt bulbs, like I have 4 x 55W PC so 110 per unit