PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Quality Control.....!

SeanySean
08/25/2006, 05:00 PM
How does one tell if a skimmer is not good enough for a tank?

I am close to falling into the pit of buying needless things, it is all in the interest of me keeping my fishies and co in perfect health.... From reading "you can't overskim" however, what would happen if I put my skimmer on a tank twice the size it is meant for, would it not have enough turnover compared to tank volume so organics would build or would it simply fill up too quickly, my tank for its size is seriously understocked (until next saturday :rollface: :rollface: :rollface: yes I will post all pictures oooooooooooooooo :) ) and I have a deltec 850 which is good enough but it only fills up the cup once every couple of weeks but for 3 fish and a couple of corals I do not expect much else (even if 2 are tangs with their big poo's :) )

Sean

afelder
08/25/2006, 05:17 PM
The guidlines for skimmers are based on bioload. I went with the css220 on my 40 gallon system and get an inch of skimmate a week. If you go with an uderpowered skimmer skim wet and it will remove more. But I would still go with the biggest skimmer you can get you can always run it less if you feel it is doing to much.