PDA

View Full Version : Does HoldFast or AquaStick epoxy damage coral tissue?

Cox
08/25/2006, 07:00 PM
I have a green leather that I want to adhere to a rock. It has only a small amount of the original rock showing, it's pretty much grown over the original rock it was mounted to when it was a frag. I was planning on using the HoldFast or AquaStick putty to adhere it but it looks like it will get some of the epoxy touching at least some of the base. Anyone know if this stuff will cause tissue recession or harm to it?

ACBlinky
08/25/2006, 07:14 PM
The two-part putty epoxy I had specifically said not to allow it to contact coral tissue. Leathers aren't the best candidates for glue or epoxy, it will likely just slime up and float away. If you want it to move onto another rock you could try putting another rock near the base and wait for it to attach, then cut it away from the old rock, or if you're fragging the leather you can use a plastic toothpick, an elastic band or some bridal veil to hold the piece onto a rock until it attaches.

TKByrnes
08/25/2006, 07:19 PM
you can use a needle and thread and stick the needle through the leather and tie it to the rock. just make sure you dont tie it too tight or it will cut through the leather. i have use this method on 3 leathers and they usually attach in about 2-3 weeks. then just cut the string and pull it out of the leather.

Salamander
08/25/2006, 07:19 PM
Likely not too good to use for directly gluing. Better for rock to rock. I don' think it'd harm the coral but probably won't stick unless there is enough rock showing you can bond. I've had a few problems with two part epoxies on hard corals which works better with superglue gel IMO.

Try spearing it with a toothpick, stitching it with needle and thread or securing it with a rubber band until it holds. Or just cram it in a crack. Check searching the propogation forum for other ideas.