PDA

View Full Version : Hippo Tang or no Hippo??

Sheni Angel
08/25/2006, 10:17 PM
I have ALWAYS wanted a Hippo Tang, along with my Blonde Naso but my LFS (two of them) are saying Noooooo. They are too hard to care for and EASILY prone to diseases. I see others so happy with theirs but don't want to invite unnecessary problems if I would be doing so in my Reef Tank.

Looking for opinions..... Thanks~ Sheni :)

t5Nitro
08/25/2006, 10:25 PM
I have a 46 gallon tank, I am getting 1 tang and a small one at that and will need to upgrade later on. I think if you just dont overcrowd and have good water quality I think it should be fine.

coker98
08/25/2006, 10:26 PM
thats a first ive ever heard of a lfs not wanting to sell someone something. but they are right. hippo tangs are prone to get ick as are most tangs in general. just get a quarantine and treat/observe there.

JR719
08/25/2006, 10:33 PM
I had a hippo in my 55 for a couple of years. It died because of my fault..... I kept cleaner shrimp in the tank and they pick off about everything from the fish. You should not have any trouble so long as you take care of it. KEEP at least 1 cleaner shrimp, feed nori or better yet, I fed Spectrum thera A+ which is supposed to cut down on the problems. Every now and then I would soak the food in garlic juice (I get the large crushed garlic at wally world).
You'll love the fish, I'm looking for a new one already.

dermer
08/25/2006, 11:04 PM
i have 1 and i have a cleaner and i run a uv sterilizer aslo be sure to feed often when i got mine it was about the size of a quarter and had ick and now 5 months latter it has trippled in size all ready
aslo be advise if you do get one they play dead at first till they r use to the tank suck as laying on there sides and such good luck

riemannp
08/25/2006, 11:05 PM
I have a Hippo (Blue) Tang in my quaranteen, and I'm actually apprehensive to release to my display tank. He got sick after I bought him, and I'm trying to gain confidence with my observation skills and feeding/nutrician skills. Once I feel certain I can keep him healthy, I'll release. I guess what I'm trying to say is 1) don't do it if you don't have a QT; and 2) don't do it until you have a good feeding/nutrician regiment.

markandkristen
08/25/2006, 11:09 PM
ive had a hippo tang for over a year and a half. healthiest fish in my tank so far .. i agree on a cleaner shrimp....
i love my dori. she still hides everytime i raise my canopy.

Sheni Angel
08/26/2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts and replies! :) I just haven't been ready to give up the idea of having a "Dory" as it has been my dream always. And I've seen happy results online so I want to fight their advice (although good advice) and try. ;)

Are they mostly just prone to sickness in the beginning, or always? I have a 125 gallon Reef so they will have lots of hiding spots and I do also have a 46 gallon quarantine they could stay in for as long as needed! :D Oh, and I have a Cleaning Station of 6 Skunk Cleaners set up also.

Thanks~ Sheni

SeanySean
08/26/2006, 10:06 AM
They are good fish, I suppose they are prone to things, but my one is a warrior, when my tank crashed about 8 months ago, he was the only survivor along with a yellow tail damsel, he went over the weir through the bio balls and stayed there for about 3 months only when I was cleaning the bio balls did I see him with absolute amazement Archie is my best fish

Steelslinger75
08/26/2006, 11:38 AM
I have raised my hippo since he was 2" and now he is 4+". Healty as can be. Just make sure you feed lots of greens. I have 6 tangs, Hybrid Achilies, Sohal, Kole, Sailfin, Hippo, Purple, all healthy as can be. Just make sure you QT that fish first, and put him in hyposalinity for 4-6 weeks. That will kill any ich if he has it. Do any of your other fish have any signs as ich?

Holmie_D_Klown
08/26/2006, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8017188#post8017188 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sheni Angel
Thanks for all the thoughts and replies! :) I just haven't been ready to give up the idea of having a "Dory" as it has been my dream always. And I've seen happy results online so I want to fight their advice (although good advice) and try. ;)

Are they mostly just prone to sickness in the beginning, or always? I have a 125 gallon Reef so they will have lots of hiding spots and I do also have a 46 gallon quarantine they could stay in for as long as needed! :D Oh, and I have a Cleaning Station of 6 Skunk Cleaners set up also.

Thanks~ Sheni

It sounds like you have a great setup for a hippo. I've had mine for 2 years now and he's a spectacular fish. I battled Ich 3 different times in the first 6 months, quarantining him and all other fish for 6 weeks. What a pain! I almost gave up on him but decided to get 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 neon gobies. 1 1/2 years later and not a spot on him still.

Go for it! I would recommend against getting a smaller one which tend to have a high mortality rate after collection.