PDA

View Full Version : B&W and O.Perc?

Raibaru
08/26/2006, 01:57 AM
You guys have probably seen this type of post before, but I wasn't able to find one for the first 4 pages so figured I'd post it again.

I'm in the process of setting up my first marine aquarium which is a 36g Bowfront. I intend to get a pair of clowns which will be my primary fish in the tank. Down the road some time next year I may add one or two more fish, but that is a topic for another day.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a Black False Percula and a False Percula. Although different in appearance, I believe they are the same species and I'm curious if others here have had any success with keeping them as a bonded pair?

Because I am new and just starting out, I'm probably not going to introduce both at the same time even though I really want to just so I can take things very slowly (plus I want to ensure the Black is a male).

Do you guys forsee any problems? Would you suggest I introduce both at the same time just to improve my chances of them bonding well? Perhaps I should start with a different fish and get the 2 clowns later? Or should I do alright introducing 2 clowns to a new system at the same time because they would both be aquacultured and more hardy?

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

criccio
08/26/2006, 06:45 AM
Make sure the tank is completely cycled first. Are you planning on QT'ing?

You can introduce both at the same time (and probably best), just make sure the orange ocellaris is larger than the black ocellaris if you want the black one to be the male (assuming it's small and unsexed).

Raibaru
08/26/2006, 10:06 AM
No, the tank isn't cycled. I am still waiting on the last of my supplies to show up and I will hopefully get my LR by next weekend. Likely wont be ready for fish for another month or so.

But no problems should crop up and the 2 fish should get along fine?

organism
08/26/2006, 11:06 AM
the fish should get along fine, but the main thing to keep in mind is to take things slowly, honestly I'd worry about cycling and letting the tank sit for a while before considering fish, that way you don't add them in too quickly

on a side note, I'm an immensely impatient person when it comes to cycling, so I always use bio-spira to cycle out my new tanks, I'd still let it sit for a while after cycling to get the nutrients down, and to learn more about how often to feed fish, water changes, etc :)

Raibaru
08/26/2006, 11:11 AM
yea, I'm buying cured live rock so the cycling will (in theory) be shorter then usual. But I intend to introduce the clean up crew first first. Just planning to take it slow as prescribed by the professionals :)

AquaReeferMan
08/26/2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah there shouldnt be a problem. I have a female Orange and 2 male Blacks. There was a little nipping at first but thats normal. I would add them together and first. Clowns IMO are very hardy if you get them from the right place. Check out my Aviator.

Raibaru
08/26/2006, 01:01 PM
Yup. Looking at the clowns in the LFS was what made me decide to do some research and I was surprised to learn that they are hardy and beginner safe. Was like a sign from god :)

Do the Black False Percs eventually lose the orange at the tips of their nose when they become full adults?

Also, any suggestions on where to get them? The LFS does stock tank bred False Percs and occasionally has Black Clownfish (but they dont say if they are False Perc. Do any other block clownfish exist?). However, the LFS has let me down with pretty much every purchase I have made thus far and although I don't have any reason to not trust their livestock, I am getting a bit ****ed at them.

AquaReeferMan
08/26/2006, 01:08 PM
I dont think so. As juvenile they are more orange/brown in the body but will eventually turn all black with just the Orange mouth.

AquaReeferMan
08/26/2006, 01:09 PM
They are either Percula or Occelaris. There are other black clowns but you will be able to tell if they are other than Perc of Occs.