PDA

View Full Version : Is this tank ok for seahorses.

sarah14
08/26/2006, 07:24 AM
Hi, I have seen this tank in my local aquatic centre, it is 3f long x 2 f high x 18inches wide, it is 340L, not sure what this is in uk gallons, about 55 gallons?.
The tank comes with a sump, weir, cabinet and has an open hood, the price is £579.99.
What does everyone think about this tank, is it ok for seahorses.
As i am having work done around the house i thought it best to wait till most of it is finished.
Are there any seahorse keepers near to me in sussex, uk?
Thank you.

nickb
08/26/2006, 07:58 AM
That's 67 US G (for comparability to other sizes given here :)) The 2' height is good for seahorses (which need taller tanks). What types of seahorses can you get in your area?

BTW, in case this wasn't already said:

[welcome]

FelipeBastos
08/26/2006, 09:03 AM
That tank is plenty large for seahorses.

Of course it depends on how many you would like to have there, but as a general ( safe) rule, one pair for each 10 US gallons would be ok.

Good luck with it, and come back to this forum when more questions come. And they will.

Felipe

sarah14
08/30/2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Nickb and Felipe,
Thank you for your replies, sorry for not replying sooner, and thank you for your welcome.
My local fish store has what they call yellow seahorses, that is all that they say, sorry not much help. They were selling for £39.99.
Here in the uk there aren't many fish stores that keep seahorses.
I will keep in touch when i have got a new tank, don't think the one i saw will be there for much longer.
Shame just haven't got the room to store it.
Thanks again for your help.

Sarah.

hydroid
08/30/2006, 11:06 AM
Stay away from the "yellow" seahorses! If thats all the store knows, the seahorses are wild caught. WC seahorses need live food (very expensive in the long run) and carry diseases that captive bred specimins don't.

IF the horses are captive bred, the store will know the breeder's name and the scientific name of the species.

I know there are a couple good seahorse breeders in England ... any Brits know the names?

Go with the most reputable breeder you can find ... you won't be sorry.

nickterp
08/30/2006, 12:20 PM
Quick search... best I could find so far. Some of them seem to sell captive bred. You can call them and ask questions. CB seahorses that will eat frozen mysis seems to be the easiest way to go.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/SeahorseWorldWide.shtml#uk

Good luck!