PDA

View Full Version : C-Balance vs. B-Ionic

nmprisons
08/26/2006, 08:33 AM
what is the difference? which should i use? why?

thanks

nmprisons
08/26/2006, 01:01 PM
weel, i got impatient and bought the b-ionic

reef_doug
08/26/2006, 01:18 PM
Bump.... I'm wondering the same thing.

chip721
08/26/2006, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8016762#post8016762 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nmprisons
what is the difference? which should i use? why?

thanks They're both 2 part Calcium Alkalinity supplements. I think they're both basically the same. I tried C-Balance, but then switched to B-Ionic. Why? Based on the results of the Reef Chemistry Calculator (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html) B-Ionic seems a little more concentrated to me. Which means I need less of one product than the other. Try it yourself and see.

Let's choose a tank size of 55g. We measured our calcium and it's currently at 400ppm. Not bad, but we want to raise it to 450ppm. Now choose your product. If you select C-Balance, it takes 275ml to reach our desired level of 450. If you select B-Ionic, it only takes 171ml to reach 450ppm. That helped me decide real quick which one to use. And for an even better value, with some very basic ingredients, you can follow Randy's 2 part recipe to make your own.

But before you spend a dime, what kind of corals do you have? I'd take a few test measurements over the span of a week or two and determine what your uptake is. You might be fine with just regular water changes.