PDA

View Full Version : Can I mix em?

cham
08/26/2006, 05:36 PM
I FINALLY got rid of my maroon. I love the looks of clowns and wanted to keep 4 or so in my tank. I want at least two of the classic Percula or False perc (whats the diff? Price?) and maybe two of the same species but different colors.

Kinda a newb to clowns, had many fish other types of fish but this will be my first ventrue towards clowns. I have a reef system and need all fish to be friendly.

Any and all info appreciated.

TOURKID
08/26/2006, 05:50 PM
you CANNOT mix clowns.
you CANNOT have more than 2 clowns in your system

of course there are rare instances that people do and it worked.. for that time being. but if your looking for harmony in your tank, dont do it

there are quite a few speicies of clowns theres some stickys in the top of this forum you should look into

cham
08/26/2006, 05:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8019571#post8019571 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
you CANNOT mix clowns.
you CANNOT have more than 2 clowns in your system

of course there are rare instances that people do and it worked.. for that time being. but if your looking for harmony in your tank, dont do it

there are quite a few speicies of clowns theres some stickys in the top of this forum you should look into

Tried the stickys first, all pics are gone and I didn't find much info on how each interact with another.

I was thinking there were some species that you could have 4 or more of the same.

Is that not correct?

I am talking about tank raised clowns if that makes a diff.

cham
08/26/2006, 06:02 PM
I found the sticky that tells me. Apparently you cannot have more than two without being extremely lucky.:(

Oh well, will two percs at least be nicer than my maroon to my other tank mates?

Avian
08/26/2006, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8019618#post8019618 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cham
I found the sticky that tells me. Apparently you cannot have more than two without being extremely lucky.:(

Oh well, will two percs at least be nicer than my maroon to my other tank mates?

There is a good chance that they will be less agressive to your other tank inhabitants than your maroon.

raoul
08/26/2006, 07:49 PM
I really love clowns too, and we have a pair in our 30. Since we didn't want to risk adding more than that we had the fantastic opportunity to diversify! I'm glad we did. We have an anemone that they host, and it's rare that they move very far from it at all. If we didn't have other fish in the tank, we'd rarely have anything to watch!
I think once you start looking at all the possibilities you'll have fun selecting different fish for their specific characteristics. For example, we have a Flame Angel, we got that for its color, but also for its swimming pattern. This fish swims all over the tank, up and down, and does laps around the toadstool. The clowns, they're neat to watch host in the nem, but that's the biggest show they put on unless you count the twitching thing they do!
Good luck and have fun!

AquaReeferMan
08/27/2006, 03:50 AM
I guess Im one of the luckey ones then. I have 3 that get along. This guy I know that runs a shop at his house also has 3 that get along in 2 different display tanks. There was also a video of a guy showing off his tunze wave box that has 5 Occs in his tank.

wraithy
08/27/2006, 08:41 AM
I have 3 different types in my 90. 2 pinks, 2 onyx and 2 fire clowns. They all get along and have for over 2 years now. I think my luck came with introducing them all at roughly the same time and the same general sizes