PDA

View Full Version : Foxface may be in trouble

shaggydoo541
08/26/2006, 05:58 PM
In the process of moving a tank a foxface got spooked and ended up in the clutches of a large carpet anemone. He sat there stunned for a little while and eventually freed himself from the anemone.

His face now has some goopy substance on one side of his face and I am wondering what if anything I can do. Is there a possibility of any long term harm? He seems fine now (besides the normal stress of moving with a large tank) besides the goop on his side.

shaggydoo541
08/27/2006, 01:28 PM
Ok now the tank is fully moved and everything is setup. The foxface swum around all night normally but in the morning it was gone. The anemone was fully stretched out (at the base) and their appears to be a ridgelike protrusion on one side of the stalk of the anemone.

Could the anemone have eaten the entire fish? It was a large foxface but then again it is an extremely large carpet anemone. I don't know what to think but will start looking extremely closely behind the rocks again to see if he is hiding back there.

I just can't believe the anemone ate the entire thing.

jmaneyapanda
08/27/2006, 01:31 PM
carpet anemones are bonafide fish killers. if it didnt eat it (which may be entirely possible), im guessing its dead under a rock somewhere. fish usually dont "shrug off" stings from carpets. I hope im wrong.

shaggydoo541
08/27/2006, 01:36 PM
Well I hope you are wrong too but I think you are right.

This anemone came with a used tank I purchased. Should I plan on selling it? I want to get more fish but now I am worried about it grabbing and devouring more of them.

Will a carpet usually get ahold of regular healthy fish in a large tank? Maybe this is just a single incident and won't be repeated now that every fish has a large area to avoid the carpet.

In retrospect I should have thought the move through a little better and not put a fish in the same rubbermaid bin as that carpet but I had no idea they were that lethal and it was a large container. Now I'm kickin myself.

thor32766
08/27/2006, 03:04 PM
do you have a clown hosting in it? my sebea clown wont let anyone really close to his carpet> just a thought.

shaggydoo541
08/27/2006, 03:31 PM
Good idea thor. I think I am going to have to look into that. I really like the carpet but it is so big that chances are another fish will wander into it.

What would be the best clown as a guardian? Maybe a maroon... I have heard they are pretty agressive. Sounds like you have had success with your sebea, I should see what my LFS have. What are the chances of any clown I get hosting to the carpet??? Are certain varieties more apt to host a carpet?

jmaneyapanda
08/27/2006, 03:53 PM
yes, most certainly- and stick to it, because carpet will eat clowns that may not be adjusted to hosting in a carpet. I do not think maroons will host in a carpet, but I may be wrong. I thinktrue percs will though.

pony_killer
08/28/2006, 03:33 PM
ive got 3 clowns that gaurd the anemone...1 momma and 2 baby's. crazy little sob's too. HOWEVER when i first put the clown and anemone in my tank, the anemone got a hold of a chromie, purple tang, and im pretty certain a tomato clown...not good at all! but now annie the anemone is behaving.

thor32766
08/28/2006, 07:17 PM
try a sebea or clarkii. They both get pretty good size. My sebea is huge and he rules his area! goodluck