PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate 90 Reef

Sharkboy97
08/26/2006, 08:16 PM
Alright heres the deal I bought a 90 gallon drilled about 9 monthes ago and set it up very cheap due just wanting to get it up and running, but now I am very disappointed with it and would like do redo everything I know i want metal halide 250 watt 14k and it has to be retro fit also the protien skimmer can be run external to the sump speaking of the sump was going to try to get meleve to build one for me if anybody has designs that would be great the controller i was looking at the reef keeper 2 i think is the name, but if anybody has better suggestions. and for the return pump i was going to run a mag 12 to a oceansmotions 4-way forr return and a tunze wavemaker box for some more circutation and for top/off a tunze osomator (spelling?) and anything else people think i need would be cool it is a 90 gallon aga rr and it will be sps so thanks for the help

mark

Sharkboy97
08/27/2006, 10:34 AM
nobody has any suggestion or advice???

mta
08/27/2006, 10:39 AM
These boards are very clickish.Ive found it hard to get advice or answers.

CeeGee
08/27/2006, 11:25 AM
all the equipment you purchase should be based around what you intend to keep. I see no mention of what you plan to put in the tank.

I would personally ditch the mag return and go with a eheim if you are going internal or a nice external pump (iwaki or something similar).

Controller is a good piece of equipment I personally have the AC Jr. and love it. It seemed to be a better buy than the Reefkeeper 2.

don't cheap on the skimmer get the best that you can. I would recommend an H&S or Deltec and do it right the first time (second in your case).

from what I understand the wavemaker boxes aren't worth anything unless you have a 6ft or longer tank.

Hopefully that will get you going and others will chime in. I haven't seen to many "clicks" around here. I love this board and for the most part the people here are great.

flycasterjosh
08/27/2006, 11:28 AM
I dont think it is the "clique" in this case mta. Mark, your post is almost unreadable. Please add some punctuation, tell folks what your goals are, what type of reef you want, and what your specific challenges are.

It sounds like you have a good start as to the equipment you want, Melevs web-site tells you how to build any of the sumps you want, and the other equipment is a step by step process. Hope that helps a little bit, certainly not trying to discourage your posting, just want to get you the help you need and want.

Have a good one,

-Josh

Sharkboy97
08/27/2006, 07:32 PM
thanks for the advice but i did say "it will be sps" and im here for advice not to write a english essay

yeame
08/27/2006, 11:37 PM
I here ya sharkboy97 back to english class I would say starting with some softie corals and if that goes good bring on the sps

mg426
08/28/2006, 12:59 AM
I set my first reef up the CHEAP way so I know how you feel. I would suggest getting the best gear you can cause if you really get hooked you will just get it anyway. Try here for DIY retrofit lighting WWW.hellolights.com

McCrary
08/28/2006, 01:21 AM
My personal favorite site has been Marinedepot.com, I have always had good results from them.

Lighting: You can get a nice 250 Watt MH setup for around $550 or so (spider refectors, IceCap ballasts and good bulbs).

Protein Skimmer: A EuroReef would be a good skimmer that should provide good, consistent performance. (a in-sump skimmer is always nice because they tend to be cheaper and if they overflow it only goes into your sump and not all over your floor)

Return: An Eheim 1260 will be quiet and energy efficient. (mags can be loud and heat up your tank water)

Hope this helps a little.