PDA

View Full Version : What are you feeding your clowns?

waterman78
08/27/2006, 05:38 PM
I am experiencing some type of issue with feeding my clownfish. I am noticing that my two clownfish have small black spots forming all over their bodies...is this normal, or am I not feeding them correctly?

Currently I feed them flakes: (Omega One and NewLife Spectrum Optimum) and occassionally I feed live brine shrimp when available at my LFS...lately no brine shrimp just flakes and now the black spots....

What should or could I do to correct their condition?

I need your help. Thanks...

Larry

catdoc
08/27/2006, 05:52 PM
Not sure what the black spots are at all, but I feed flake (Prime Reef and Omega One), cyclopeeze, and homemade blender mush.

skippy2
08/27/2006, 06:24 PM
do you have zoos in your tank? The clowns could possibly be rubbing on the zoos causing the black spots. Perfectly harmless if that is what is going on.

conefree
08/27/2006, 07:48 PM
I feed formula one pellets and mysis shrimp. They are doing pretty well and growing fast.

Clownlover
08/28/2006, 10:36 AM
One of my clowns also started getting a couple of black spots but it was because he was getting his coloring. I feed mine flakes in the morning and mysis shrimp in the evening. I will try to post a picture when I get home from work this evening to see if it compares to yours.

waterman78
08/28/2006, 11:49 AM
thank you all for your replies. This will be the second type I see those spots on their bodies. There is a great possibility the they have been rubbing on some in the tank...How about leather toadstool coral, could these spots be from rubbing up against a leather coral?

I would like to purchase an anemone for them to host in. What would be the best fit....bubble tip or sebae anemone?

nickterp
08/28/2006, 12:11 PM
Couple things: brine shrimp don't offer any good nutrition for fish, I would supplement with something like mysis instead.

The clowns don't need an anemone, though they may host in one. A bubble tip would probably be better. Only thing is your 24g nano is a little small (they grow up to a foot in diameter). I like the rest of your eqiupment for a BTA, but I think the size is going to make it very difficult to keep it stable enough for one.

Read through these FAQ's: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/btasysfaqs.htm

Good luck!