PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtail Damsel

akopley
08/28/2006, 12:26 AM
I just got a giant yellow tail damsel. I dont have anything else in my tank...yet. I hear now that these things are mean as hell. Should i get rid of him now or wait to see how mean he really is?

Avi
08/28/2006, 06:40 AM
Honestly....get rid of it now. Free your tank and yourself of Damsels.

BurntOutReefer
08/28/2006, 10:02 AM
catch him while you can......

PoukieBear
08/28/2006, 10:10 AM
I agree, inless you plan on getting a larger fish that will eat him!

ldehart0556
08/29/2006, 06:47 AM
I have two of them and one is docile the other is a real jerk. Solution: A larger fish that keeps him in check. He knows his place now and its not top fish anymore.

Psyfalcon
08/29/2006, 07:22 PM
A local LFS has a big one in their show tank along with some other semi agressive fish like Maroon clowns. They have been there for quite a while and seem to be doing fine.

My yellow tail lives by himself in my nano though...

picnic
08/30/2006, 04:24 AM
mine have been fine, i have had no problems. and it was the first fish i put in the tank almost a year ago.

joniterrett
08/30/2006, 07:11 AM
hi i have had no problems with mine i put a clown fish in there and they are always together they never swim far from each other match made in heaven!!!!!

mskohl
08/30/2006, 09:11 AM
my yellow tail is probably the least aggressive in my tank. I have a tomato clown that keeps him timid and a royal gramma that protects her territory. I also have a yellow tang that is supposed to be territorial, but hasn't acted up yet.

jessp
08/30/2006, 04:21 PM
i added a tiny yellowtail after my clowns where already in the tank for about a year, they are the dominant fish and keep him well in check

HighlandReef
08/30/2006, 08:37 PM
damsels get mean as heck as they get bigger/older

meco65
08/30/2006, 08:45 PM
A Yellow tale Damsel is a wonderful fish to put in your tank, If its the only fish that you will have in that tank.

j_gilbert
08/31/2006, 06:55 AM
I dont have problems with my yellow tail.. in fact he's been with me the longest. he thinks he's bigger than he is but everything works out. they are more of a bully than anything. He even gets ****ed at snails when they get on the glass and turns colors showing his anger. its funny to watch. I have 9 fish in my tank and they all keep each other in check. Dont worry about the damsel and keep him. he'll be ok

gliebig
08/31/2006, 07:08 AM
I had a yellowtail for a while and it never showed aggression. I've had a 4-stripe for over 4 years and it's been fine.

artnsx
08/31/2006, 08:32 AM
you can't really tell whether or not the fish will be aggressive or not at this point. But if you keep the fish alone in the tank for a long time before adding new fish, you'll likely be increasing the chances of it being more aggressive towards them

pancho
08/31/2006, 08:40 AM
My yellowtail will sometimes chase my chromis.

newreefbishop
08/31/2006, 09:46 AM
I have two yellow tails....and both are mean ......I had to banish them to the fuge for a week while my clowns got settled in the tank and rearrange the tank....I love them because they where my first fish, but if I had to do it all over again I would have bought Chromis....The are mean...point blank and even try to bully my Coral Beauty and My Yellow tang....I believe the murdered my six line wrasse and my mandarin.....so now I plan on getting fish larger than them......

Levent
08/31/2006, 12:02 PM
If possible get rid of it. It cost me 2 Chromis, 3 Anthias, 1 Yellowtail Damsel !! and 2 Blue Damsels.

It is the terrorist of the tank teasing all the fishes especially the newcomers and I can not take it out. Praying everyday this day is the time of death.

B192734
08/31/2006, 12:17 PM
I have a yellowtail living along side 2 pajama cardinals and a green chromis and a yellow watchman goby in a 20 gal tank. The chromis kind of keeps to himself, but the other three (non bottom dudes) hang together. The damsel and the cardinals go everywhere together. They eat together and "sleep" in the same spot. I've never had a problem. At first the damsel didn't like a shrimp that was introduced, but I moved the rocks around slightly and kept the tank dark when he was introduced, but after about 2 hours, the damsel let it go and is ok with everybody again.