PDA

View Full Version : new 55g question

CiroFuentes22
08/28/2006, 08:18 AM
i was wondering wat kind of filtration should i put in my 55g. one thing i am doing is an undergravle filter but i was also thinking about doing a either a wet/ dry or i dont know wut els. but not a hang on. want to set something up cause im eventualy going to use the same system for my 150 in about 6 to 7 months. pleas help. im so lost. and the tank is not drilled. THX

theatrus
08/28/2006, 10:10 AM
Is this going to be a fish only tank (one without live rock)?

nickterp
08/28/2006, 12:03 PM
I would strongly suggest a skimmer.

If its fish only (no live rock, corals, etc) and you are going to stock lightly, then you can get away with a undergravel filter and maybe a canister or hang on filter.

I don't think you're going to be able to take anything that works on a 55 gallon as filtration and move it to a 150 gallon. You'll be able to reuse... maybe powerheads?

I would focus on one setup right now when asking for advice. And PLEASE respond to the following question if you want good advice:
-What kind of livestock do you want, fish only, fish only live rock? fish and some soft corals? Be as specific as possible...

About the blue tang in the 15 gallon: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=739380

I would definitely move that fish up to a larger tank once its matured enough.

Good luck! Reply with some more info.

CiroFuentes22
08/28/2006, 12:52 PM
im going to do it as a reef tank wit some sps lps and ofcourse wanted to specify many zoas.

and about the tang i know wat to do wit it. thank you. it was given to me from a felow reefer who didnt want it anymore and i told him would take care of it for him till he wants it again. wich i know he will cause he cant live witout a full reef tank. its his life.

rambone
08/28/2006, 02:21 PM
You can build your own sump w/ a refugium for cheap, the problem you might run into is if you build one large enough for you to upgrade from the 55g to your next tank, it might not fit into the cabinet of the 55g. But an easy way to save space in the sump is to hang your protein skimmer and uv sterilizer on the outside of the sump, the same way you would set it up to HoB of your main tank.

CiroFuentes22
08/28/2006, 02:35 PM
is thier a need for a uv sterlizer and wut is it for