PDA

View Full Version : How do I bring my Alk Down

UGA XI
08/28/2006, 11:09 AM
I just started getting seriously into testing my water parameters, and it seems my Alk is at 10.4 Dkh. I'm imagining this is pretty high since I think the proper Alk is supposed to be in the 8.3 range. My clam is tucked away in his shell and not coming out, and my Acros don't have their polyps out like they normally do. My Zoo's are also not coming out. Could my high Alk be the problem? How do I get my Alk back in down to normal ranges? I've been dosing SeaChem's Calcium booster over the past few days, and have finally got my Ca up to 400ppm. Could this be one of the reasons why my Alk is so high? Again, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

UgA XI

Boomer
08/28/2006, 01:36 PM
If it is that high it is not a real issue, just let it fall. The question is how did it get there. SeaChem does not make anything called SeaChem's Calcium booster. What does it say on the bottle ? The only on that can cause the alk to get that high is Reef Kalkwasser. If it is this one, stop for now.

Full Spectrum Supplement Reef Plus

Calcium

Reef Calcium
Reef Complete
Reef Advantage Calcium
Reef Kalkwasser

Carbonates/Alkalinity

Reef Buffer
Reef Builder
Reef Carbonate

Who's test kit are you using ?

Tolemac
08/28/2006, 02:50 PM
Hey Ya Boomer Your confusing me.

Reef Kalkwasser is

Quote from Seachem "Reef Kalkwasserâ„¢ is a pure calcium hydroxide with unsurpassed purity and solubility characteristics. Calcium hydroxide is used to prepare limewater (kalkwasser) solutions that will maintain calcium concentrations at natural seawater levels. Kalkwasser solutions maintain calcium directly and carbonate alkalinity indirectly. " end quote

I do not understand how this product can drive the ALK above normal.

On the other hand I made the same mistake others here have and tried to maintain a PH of 8.3 with Reef Buffer. It did not maintain the ph and drove my ALK right off the upper end of the scale and to this day is still at the upper end of what my test kits can measure.
Reef Buffer is not so good for PH but is great for an AKL supplement.

I have been trying to let the ALK drop down to normal levels for 6 weeks by adding only Reef Kalkwasser and magnesium to help maintain the calcium and PH, (I have a chronic low PH problem and will be starting my own thread on it soon with all the measurements.)

If Reef Kalkwasser is contributing to the ALK I need to know what other product to use for PH and calcium as I still am trying to lower the tanks ALK to a more normal level.

Thanks for the help

Billybeau1
08/28/2006, 03:30 PM
Tol, limewater will raise alk if too much is used. As well as calcium.

Start a new thread with your current parameters and we'll get you squared away.

That way we wont get you confused with UGA's problem. :D

bertoni
08/28/2006, 05:00 PM
[welcome]

I agree that overdosing lime is very possible, but that we should probably handle that in a new thread.

Boomer
08/28/2006, 08:42 PM
tol

If Reef Kalkwasser is contributing to the ALK I need to know what other product to use for PH and calcium as I still am trying to lower the tanks ALK to a more normal level.

It is an Ca++ alk demand issue. If one is adding kalk to raise the Ca++, say from 360 -400ppm Ca++, it will raise the Alk 5.6 dkH or 2.00/meq / l. If the tank has very little Ca++ demand, pretend zero, and the Alk was 2 meq / l it will now be 4 meq/l. Now, if you are at the same time adding other Alk sup's it will get even higher.

Kalk is a balanced additve, it adds equal proportions of Ca++ and Alk/buffer. Kalk reacts with CO2 and makes buffer= Alk

Kalk is Ca(OH)2

Ca(OHO)2 ===> Ca + + 2OH

2OH + 2CO2 ===> 2HCO3 ( buffer, bicarbonate = ^ Alk)

You are adding Kalk and it will add to your Alk and is why you are having a harder times of having the Alk fall.
Your real pH problems are excessive CO2, which kalk helps but is often not always the cure for low pH by itself. Finally, Alk and Ca++ demands do not always balance.

Kalk is the best balanced additive there is, if it meets the demands of the tank for all its Alk and Ca++ demands. In some systems this does not work out right. Many have had problems with high Alk due to kalk and even high pH. It depends on the system and its needs.

As suggested start a new thread