PDA

View Full Version : Negative effects of high temp on FOWLR? HLLE?

kjmst29
08/28/2006, 12:44 PM
I have a 90 gallon FOWLR tank. Stocking list and tank info below. My tank consistently runs around 84 degrees F. I know this is high. I cannot afford a chiller. I have had an HLLE problem for months now. Could this be why? I thought it may have been diet, electrical current, etc, etc, etc. I've tried fixing it almost every other way but it is not going away.

Regardless, what are some of the other negative effects of a high temperature in a FOWLR tank?

The only solution I can think of would be to raise my lights maybe 6 inches or so.

Thoughts?

46bfinGA
08/28/2006, 06:11 PM
run one of those clip on fans from walmart on it.it keeps my tank at 78-80 during summer months.increases evaporation a bit,but alot cheaper then a chiller.just dont run it pointed directly at the water,and it will help on the evaporation a bit.good luck

LRS078
08/28/2006, 07:24 PM
More rock....WAY Less light.....why so much light if no corals? Do you own stock in the power company? HLLE is a indirect result of high temp bumping up fish metabolic rates. Thus more need for food, thus more excrement, thus more nitrates. What does your water chemistry look like? Poor nutrion is always a factor of HLLE so with the higher temp they go through even more vitamin/nutrient needs than normal. So even with normally good husbandry it may cause a deficiency.

46bfinGA
08/28/2006, 07:37 PM
ok what is HLLE?

LRS078
08/28/2006, 08:32 PM
HLLE: Head and Lateral-Line Erosion

Lateral Line = Its the evolutionary equivalent of our ear....lets fish sense pressure waves in the water. Visible on most fish as a line along both sides of their bodies. Runs from above the eye to end of the dorsal (approx) With HLLE it looks like someone took a melon baller and scooped it all out or "dremeled" it....

Erosion thereof is a condition believed to be caused by poor water quality and/or nutrition. Frequently observed in more sensitive fish such as angels, tangs and some butterflies. Occasionally a lion will have it too. It is reversible but only with top notch care/conditions over time.

46bfinGA
08/28/2006, 08:48 PM
ohh ok,i didnt know what the abbreviation was for.thanks

Monkeyfish
08/29/2006, 08:21 AM
As 46bfinGA stated a clip on fan blowing over/across the surface of the the water will help lower the temp several degrees by increasing evaporation.

What are the water parameters (SG, ammonia, etc.) To be on the safe side I'd do a large water change (30+ gallons).

Feeding foods high in marine vegetable content will help with the HLLE (especially for the angel and tang). Try Omega 3 Super Veggie flakes, seaweeds (various brands) or nori attached to a clip for the fish to pick at throughout the day and Ocean Nutrition frozen formula 2.

spamin76
08/29/2006, 09:11 AM
Well the biggest problem with running a tank chronically too hot is that it decreases the available oxygen in the tank. It might not be bad enough to cause serious problems for the fish, but it certainly isn't healthy. Fish cannot easily regulate their body temperatures, so high temps artificially increase many metabolic functions.... it's hard to say the long term outcome of this... but it is probably not good. Doesn't mean it will be bad... but it probably will not be good. Increased metabolism does also increase oxygen demand... so...

Due to the way fish breath, even a 1% drop in dissolved oxygen could effect them significantly.