PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Critter??

rfman81
08/28/2006, 03:34 PM
Hello,
I am new to Nashville and also a noob in reefing. Still in the information collection stage. Can anyone give me advice on Aquatic Critter? I have been there several times and I am looking for you who frequent there.
I noticed that the last meet was there and they gave away some nice stuff.
1.) Is the service good?
2.) Is the stock good qaulity? Seems good quality I spent 1 hour just looking at the fish for any signs of stress and ich? Some did seemed stressed but I guess that is usual?
3.) Prices seems sorta high but not sure maybe just normal?
4.) Is the advice given good? Who should I avoid and who should I speak to?

Thank you so much,
I am excited to start a reef tank and still have several more months to go before I get one but I want to know as much as possible including if I can count on LFS advice.

greystreet41
08/28/2006, 04:07 PM
they and Emerald Bay are the only shows in town.
Yes, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any retail shop without some unhealthy fish--especially since they display their fish upon arrival. They are really good about letting you "hold" a fish to see if it's okay for a few to several days depending on the circumstances. As for prices, kinda high IMO, but as is the hobby as a whole.
As for specific people to deal with--best to draw your own conclusions. I have my few favorites and I have a few not so favorites, but my list would likely differ from someone else's.
good luck!

gflat65
08/28/2006, 04:33 PM
I agree. If you can find either of the Chris' or Ken, your in good hands. I don't know most of the rest of them well enough to give any pointers. I usually do a whirlwind tour through there (something usually has to really stand out for me to stop and stare and think about purchasing-too much stuff already;)). they don't Qt (no one in this area does), so it si not all to uncommon to see a few stressed fish. They do take care of their store, though.

Emerald Bay is the other store in town. They aren't as big as the Critter, but have some different corals. Prices are somewhat comparable. Since EBay is smaller, it is usually easier to sit and chat with Sean and the guys. Both places can be very busy sometimes, so you may wait a while before getting to talk to someone, but I usually find something else to look at if I have to wait:).

Pickupman66
08/30/2006, 11:01 AM
Fins down in franklin is not no shabby either I have seen some nice stock in there the few times I have been there.

Fanof49ASU
08/30/2006, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8031192#post8031192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gflat65
I agree. If you can find either of the Chris' or Ken, your in good hands. I don't know most of the rest of them well enough to give any pointers. I usually do a whirlwind tour through there (something usually has to really stand out for me to stop and stare and think about purchasing-too much stuff already;)). they don't Qt (no one in this area does), so it si not all to uncommon to see a few stressed fish. They do take care of their store, though.

I've just started in the hobby this year, but I've found the Critter to go 'above and beyond' to help out the beginners. Like G said, Chris and Ken are the ones I pose most of my questions to. If Chris has the time (customer-wise), he'll talk your ear off. Just the other day, I asked him about a 'fuge/pump setup' that I'm getting, and that sent him on a 30 minute sermon :) .....all very helpful though.