PDA

View Full Version : dogface and bannerfish compatibility issue

saltyESQ
08/28/2006, 07:20 PM
I was at the doc office today and they had a fairly large in-wall tank. as for tank mates
1. 4inch dogface puffer
2. 1 tomato clown
3. 1 yellow tail blue body damsel
4.1 henochious butterfly- aka banner fish

the banner fish also had severe ich. horrible to watch a fish die in a doc's office. :(

but the entire time the banner fish was picking on the dogface (Which looked healthy) and kept on chasing the dogface into the rockwork to hide.

I would have thought these 2 were compatible. Is this just an unusual occurance?

Titan*69
08/28/2006, 09:41 PM
I'd say unusual for sure; I'd be expecting the DFP to be nibbling on the long streamer.

Monkeyfish
08/29/2006, 08:13 AM
Ditto

XtrmCHoPZ
08/29/2006, 10:10 AM
Not unusual at all for some one who has kept heniochus. First im willing to bet they were Heniochus accuminatus, the most common bannerfish.....I had two of these grow from the size of a quarter to about 5-6" before I gave them away. These fish CONSTANTLY pick at other fish...ESPECIALLY PUFFERS!! When they are juvi's they act like cleaners and will pick on just about any fish.

Monkeyfish
08/29/2006, 01:21 PM
XtrmCHoPZ - any experience mixing heniochus with triggers such as a Humu Humu? I usually advise against it, but am interested in any experiences you may have had.

XtrmCHoPZ
08/29/2006, 06:08 PM
no experience at all however I beleive that Humus are the worst when it comes to nipping