PDA

View Full Version : Faster growing SPS species

DannyUFKC
08/28/2006, 08:23 PM
Are any SPS species known to grow faster than others? My birdsnest seems to be outgrowing all my other SPS corals.

Shawnts106
08/28/2006, 08:25 PM
Depends on your lighting and nutrient content IMO/IME... but...

yes there are species of acropora that grow quicker than others...

menard
08/28/2006, 08:33 PM
In my tank Staghorn Acros. seems to grow faster than any other acros.
Montis. grows pretty rapid as well.:)

PL-Reef
08/28/2006, 08:35 PM
my milles grow like weeds. montis would be next in line.

mesocosm
08/29/2006, 05:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8032859#post8032859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DannyUFKC
Are any SPS species known to grow faster than others? ...
The interaction between environment and genetics determines growth rates.

For example ...

http://www.zeovit.com/photopost/data/500/transplant_meanGrowthrate.jpg

Extracted from:
Awareness Raising and Feasibility of Reef Restoration through Coral Transplantation in Tuticorin, Gulf of Mannar, India
J.K. PATTERSON EDWARD, JAMILA PATTERSON, G. MATHEWS & DAN WILHELMSSON
(page 51 of 93)
http://www.iucn.org/themes/marine/pd...2005_part3.pdf

:thumbsup:

panic
08/30/2006, 05:07 AM
Monti Cap grow like mad

Philwd
08/30/2006, 09:25 AM
A. Yongei, A. pthalma, M. capricornus, A. formosa, A. milipora, Pocillopora damicornus all fast growers for me.

ScotchMaster
08/30/2006, 12:27 PM
Pocillopora, Monticap, A. milipora are fast growers for me

coralfarmer84
08/30/2006, 12:48 PM
I think that most people will say that monti cap corals and staghorns grow the fastest. You also have to take into account coral size. A 1 inch frag isn't going to grow as fast as a 10 inch colony because the colony has more area to expand on. I personally think monti's grow the fastest thou

Chasmodes
08/30/2006, 12:52 PM
Does anyone have a large SPS tank where a significant percentage of the tank is dominated by one species, like Montipora foliosa? I was thinking that this would be kind of unique and appealing, perhaps a large island of that species (or one particular species of SPS) and a smaller section to one side of the reef that is more diverse? If so, do you have pics?

Also, would this be easy to accomplish using frags periodically? If so, with M. foliosa, how long do you think it would take to dominate a 4 or 5' section of live rock in say, a 300 gallon or larger new (but established) reef tank?

Thanks!

antonsemrad
08/30/2006, 12:54 PM
Has anyone had a (sps) coral that has "browned out", and then grew faster than when it was that delicate shade of (insert your favorite color here)?

twon8
08/30/2006, 01:19 PM
a brown is a healthy coral, so i would say yes; ive got a mille i chopped up due to aefw, and its in a frag tank, brown as can be, but encrusting and starting to color back up. growth rates are not something i realistically can quantify without pictures and even then I am basing it on looks rather than data.

Lobster
08/30/2006, 01:33 PM
My a. milleporas (7), seriatopora, and m. capriconis frags (3) are growing very fast.

Strangely enough, out of three different frags of monti digitata from different sources, they are all by far my slowest growers.

antonsemrad
08/30/2006, 01:44 PM
a brown is a healthy coral.... Interesting......

growth rates are not something i realistically can quantify without pictures and even then I am basing it on looks rather than data.

Anyone else?

DannyUFKC
08/30/2006, 02:46 PM
Very interesting stuff...everyone has different growth rates. I guess it all depends on the species itself and how it adapts to your water and your light quality.
I just noticed my birdsnest frag growing at a much faster pace than my other acros. It is however on opposite sides of the tank. I wonder if that might have anything to do with it.

ScotchMaster
08/30/2006, 05:38 PM
Birdsnest usually grows faster in most peoples tanks also

mermin
08/30/2006, 05:40 PM
my milli grows like crazy. it grew like 5 1 inch branches in about 2 weeks. the slowest grower is my deepwater acro. i wanna say a.lokani but im not sure. caps are fast growers aswell

Serioussnaps
08/30/2006, 06:21 PM
TO THE ONE SPECIE TANK QUESTION---

i am about to restock my tank with ALL A. Millepora...with different color variations------get a few decent size colonies and let them get huge...also a few clams and a couple other species of ACRO and MONTI but almost all MILLIE...i think it would make interesting display as well

it would really look like a part of a real reef...a shoal of chromis over it would be cool too but i dont want to deal with that

jmkins
08/30/2006, 07:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8046742#post8046742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps

i am about to restock my tank with ALL A. Millepora...with different color variations------get a few decent size colonies and let them get huge...also a few clams and a couple other species of ACRO and MONTI but almost all MILLIE...i think it would make interesting display as well

it would really look like a part of a real reef...a shoal of chromis over it would be cool too but i dont want to deal with that

That would be an :eek1: tank

I started just last winter with mainly 1" frags. My milli's started slow to branch but encrusted like mad and got thick at their bases for the first few months. Only recently 2-4 months later can I say that they have begun to branch.

I did pick up a mini colony of a blue tipped green stag that has just amazed me. In almost 6 months it has doubled in size from 2-3" with new branches forming all the time.

My birdsnest frags have grown well compared to some acro's but not amazingly. It seems like they are beginning to set in and getting some knubs on them. I will say that these two frags have been stung to death by a battle with apistatia that I'm having right now.

I'd say that fast is a relative term with SPS. a quarter inch or so a month is good growth, especially with smaller frags that need to encrust and settle. I'm hoping that with stable water conditions my sps will start to shot up by next winter when they are getting closer to a year old.

BRISK495
08/30/2006, 07:24 PM
I'd have to say the Ora BLue Polyp Digi....I'd be willing to bet its one of the fastest

Cody Ray
08/30/2006, 08:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8046742#post8046742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps

U totally stole my idea, stay out of my head :lol:

What u have in mind is very similar to what I want to do once my 90 gallon is finished. I want to do a mix of a. yongei, a.millepora, m. capricornis, and some other plating or staghorn acros.

danielboun
08/31/2006, 12:55 AM
monti's rule in my tank.

Ti
08/31/2006, 02:36 PM
Green slimers are pretty fast growers

trueblackpercula
08/31/2006, 07:11 PM
m.digitata