PDA

View Full Version : Is too much Airation bad for reef?

ppht
08/29/2006, 06:00 AM
I am using 2 Maxi-Jet 1200's and was wondering if adding too much micro bubles can cause any problems in the reef tank that I am unaware of?

Snarkys
08/29/2006, 09:10 AM
shouldn't get any bubbles at all from the MJ.

the only worry about too much aeration is gas bubble disease but there is no way in a million years you could produce that with a maxi jet.

Boomer
08/29/2006, 11:13 AM
You will not get gas bubble disease in seawater it is very, very rare. The real issue is corals, they do not like bubbles attached to them, so it is a no-no. They irritate them.

Snarkys
08/29/2006, 01:34 PM
my clowns just got it from my attempts at using an airlift in a couple 29g's, guess that's why it came to mind . certainly nothing a maxi jet could induce.

ppht
08/29/2006, 02:44 PM
The Maxi-Jet has the Air line that can be adjusted to allow it to put air in as it is pumping. I am not sure if that is what you call a venturi line or not. I have it all the way open and it looks like ocean swirls so it looks neat. Thats what I was worried about.

Snarkys
08/29/2006, 03:22 PM
umm i wouldn't worry about it i guess but most people don't use the airline because they don't like the look of the bubbles in the tank .

ppht
08/29/2006, 03:26 PM
Okay Thanks,
When I shut it off it makes my tank look like 3D. lol.
I can see how the bubbles can be not a crowd favorite.

Boomer
08/29/2006, 03:44 PM
my clowns just got it from my attempts at using an airlift in a couple

They never had gas bubble disease, which is from to much nitrogen, usually. It is like the bends for fish. You can not get much N2 gas in seawater. I have run seawater aquariums for decades with air-lift tubes.

Gases become more soluble in colder water than warmer water. When gas-saturated cold water is mixed with warm water the water becomes supersaturated and forms bubbles. It is this that causes gas-bubble disease, when it gets s into the fish. The water has to be like 140% saturated. Bubbles from air lift tubes or air stones cannot do this and are not doing this.

There is another form of gas bubble disease from CO2. This is caused by certain bacterial infections that give off CO2, which get in to the fish. This is often an issue with sea horses.

ppht
08/29/2006, 03:47 PM
So I should be Okay no matter how I set it then...

Boomer
08/29/2006, 04:04 PM
As I said above, if you have corals and lost of bubbles, the bubbles will get stuck to the corals. This acts as an irritant and they do not do well when this happens.

Snarkys
08/29/2006, 04:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8038269#post8038269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
my clowns just got it from my attempts at using an airlift in a couple

They never had gas bubble disease, which is from to much nitrogen, usually. It is like the bends for fish. You can not get much N2 gas in seawater. I have run seawater aquariums for decades with air-lift tubes.

Gases become more soluble in colder water than warmer water. When gas-saturated cold water is mixed with warm water the water becomes supersaturated and forms bubbles. It is this that causes gas-bubble disease, when it gets s into the fish. The water has to be like 140% saturated. Bubbles from air lift tubes or air stones cannot do this and are not doing this.

There is another form of gas bubble disease from CO2. This is caused by certain bacterial infections that give off CO2, which get in to the fish. This is often an issue with sea horses.

fair enough , I'm no expert in diagnosing anything

all i know is two different species of clowns in different tanks on the same system eyes started to fog over and bulge out. when i took the airlifts out they both looked much better in a week and completely normal in two weeks. btw nothing else changed other than taking out the airlifts . no water changes or food changes.

was just my best guess with the info i had available to me .

Boomer
08/29/2006, 04:34 PM
Pop-eye is what you had, there are a number of causes. It may have been what was in the water being pushed out by the lift tubes, who knows but it is not GBD

Pop eye is only a symptom, of an internal bacterial infection maybe and not really a disease but a condition. Cloudy eyes in an infection usually, which often leads to pop-eye, build up of fluid in the eye. Technically it is called exophthalmus.

Snarkys
08/29/2006, 04:36 PM
thanks for the info , learn something new everyday

so pop eye just goes away on is own normaly ?

Boomer
08/29/2006, 04:38 PM
It may go away on its own like yours did. It is better treated with a good antibiotic, as it may get worse if left alone leading to blindness. Often it may be a sign of poor water quality or poor nutrition.