PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about activity

rudyistaken
08/29/2006, 04:18 PM
So I have a theory I wanted to run by others on the board.

How many feed their mantis with a stick? In turn what is the activity level of yours?

In my experience with my mantis I feed my show mantis (ones in the open with a stick) and the ones I just throw krill in (in my concealed spots tanks).

After a while I have noticed a trend. Ones who are fed with a stick become lazy and very happy to sit in their rock waiting for food. The others are active and always out of their burrow hunting. I had a G smithii that I placed in my concealed tanks as he was not interactive what so ever. I have now moved him back from solitary into my display tank at the office and in all honesty the thing rocks! He will climb the filter intake and take krill off the top of the water. Will run around the tank a lot.

My big male chiragra is the same. I am actually giving him to guy for the mear fact that this thing is too cool to waste in the storage room.

Anyway just a theory.

JmLee
08/29/2006, 05:02 PM
eh im at work most the so i dont see her come out to much ( shs a O.S ). When i first put her in the tank, she loved to come out and roam around. Now that she is settled in, she comes out every so often.

rwhhunt
08/29/2006, 06:12 PM
Mine goes in phases, but as she has gotten older, she is much more active and explorative. I have always fed with a stick, and now she will practically eat out of my hand from the top of the water if I dared!! I found that when she lived in the pvc pipe she would primarily stay in it, and fly in and out for food, now she has outgrown it and lives behind the live rock pillars and is much more willing to mosey around and blitzkrieg my feeding stick when she smells garlic scallops! Dr Roy has mentioned that his tanks that have the most exposure to poeple and activity have the mantis that do the best. The mantis tanks that are stashed away and get few visitors and interaction dont do as well (and i imagine less interactive...)