PDA

View Full Version : A question about ballasts.

krafty
08/29/2006, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby. I just ordered a 125 Gal. AGA. It gets here tomorrow! :)

Anyhow. I was browing Doctors Foster and Smith and found what appears to be a really good deal on a Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture. They fixture is 72" and contains three 10K MHs with 4 CF and 4 LED Lunar lights. My question is about the magnetic ballast. I have read that those can be particularly noisy. Does anyone have any experience with this particular fixture? I am wondering about the quality of these ballasts as well as the noise level.

Also, the site recommends that these lights not be used under a canopy. Is this simply because of heat issues? Would arranging fans under the canopy solve this problem?

Thank you for your help!

Josh

mwood
08/30/2006, 09:14 AM
Before you make a decision, you may look around.

hellolights.com
marinedepot.com
reefgeek.com
premiumaquatics.com
oceanencounter.com

Make sure to read as much as you can about metal halides before buying.

Magnetic ballasts are heavier, can make a buzzing sound, hotter, and bigger. Magnetic ballasts are also bulb specific. You need an HQI for double ended bulbs and some euro style single ended bulbs. You need a pulse start for some single ended bulbs. You need a probe start for american style bulbs.

Electronic Ballasts will fire almost any bulb, is smaller, more efficient, lighter, not as hot, but in some cases won't run the bulb as bright.

Read Read Read!!!

krafty
08/30/2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks I appreciate the input.