PDA

View Full Version : Which Refractometer

matasw
08/29/2006, 10:53 PM
I imagine like with everything else quality of the refractometer is very important. Are the ones on ebay okay to use? Is there something specific I could look for in a refractometer? I tried searching the forums but as usual the servers too busy :) Google, hasn't been much help either. I just dont want to buy one of the ones off of ebay only to find out its crap and isn't going to work in the long run. Thanks.

kraze3
08/30/2006, 12:13 AM
I bought my refractometer from Drsfostersmith.com. I think it was around 40 dollars. Works great. Ive read other threads and found people use the same one with no problems. Ive never used the ones on ebay, never even looked there to be honest. Whichever you choose I would look for one that automatically acounts for the temperature of the water. I think it is ATC (automatic temp control?) but i could be wrong, its AT something.

sevenof9
08/30/2006, 12:31 AM
Refractometers are way more accurate than those plastic specific gravity meters. Wait for or search the forums for a group buy. I was lucky to get mine for $34 shipped a few months back.

Thx,
7of9

Snowsrfr
08/30/2006, 01:02 AM
I bought mine off of eBay and it works great.

matasw
08/30/2006, 08:22 AM
alright cool, thank you.

Shagsbeard
08/30/2006, 08:28 AM
Consistancy is much more important than the specific number. The problem with the floating do-jiggers is that they read differently if you have micro-bubbles, since they work off density. The refractometer works off the index of refraction.

Since the water you are measuring is at a near constant temperature, you really don't need the temperature dependant ones. That's more for people who work outdoors testing well water and such. Still... it never hurts to have it.

scumonkey
08/30/2006, 10:15 AM
take a look at this....
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=REFRACT-AS&Category_Code=Hydrometer

Flobajob
08/30/2006, 10:38 AM
I think Kraze3 is right. I have heard that it doesn't matter which refractometer you get provided it is auto temperature compensating (ATC).