PDA

View Full Version : Problem with green chromis -please help!

Puffer22
08/29/2006, 11:45 PM
just got 4 green chromis a few days ago. the first day they ate and schooled around without a problem. as of today, three have been schooling and the fourth just hangs out in the same spot of rock and won't eat or leave that spot. what can i do? i know the others aren't picking on him...he's been watched. no visible signs of sickness are evident. his color looks good as do his eyes, and his breathing is normal. he ate the first day, but now refuses. what can i do?

stykthyn
08/30/2006, 03:58 AM
not a whole lot other than seperate him. chromis contrary to popular belief dont school well in the home aquarium. soon he will be singled out and attacked by the other three, and so on until only one, possibly 2 remain.
while a few people have had success with these fish in groups the majority of hobbyists do not.

Dave Cox
08/30/2006, 05:57 AM
Sadly, I feel what stykthyn says is true. I had 4 chromis that lived happily together (so it seemed) for nearly 18 months, before the largest one died. Not sure what caused the red blotch on his side, but am pretty sure it's what led to him dying. Wasn't happy with just 3, so I added 2 more. One has been singled out and, just like yours, hangs out in the same spot and won't move or eat. I've never seen him bullied, but he is slowly slipping away. Skinny little thing now, am very tempted to put him out of his apparent misery...

Serioussnaps
08/30/2006, 06:14 PM
THE RED SPLOTCH WAS VIBRIO

Dave Cox
08/31/2006, 01:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8046688#post8046688 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Serioussnaps
THE RED SPLOTCH WAS VIBRIO

Having read up on Vibrio, I believe you are right.

Too late now, but what treatment would you have suggested ?

jiggy
08/31/2006, 11:28 AM
chromis kill each other off all the time. good thing they r cheap so u can just keep replacing them.

GlobaLPimP
08/31/2006, 12:06 PM
I have 3 chromis. One of them hides around some coral most of the time only to come out when it's feeding time. He's been like that for about 6 months now. He looks healthy and the others do not pick on him (yet).

Puffer22
08/31/2006, 12:59 PM
for an update, instead of just perching in one spot and not eating, he's disappeared all together. i'm sure he's in the rockwork somewhere. just not excited about tearing it apart to find a dead fish... i do know we need to get him out of there though.

Jeffrey Porter
08/31/2006, 02:14 PM
mine all do fine together and school. the only problem is when i first get them i may lose up to half in the first week due to stress and shipping. after that the remaining ones have been fine.