PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Peter Eichler
08/30/2006, 01:34 AM
I recently ordered some zoa frags and some of them have Bryopsis on them. I bought some emerald crabs in hopes they would have some interest. No luck as I expected, but it was worth a shot...

The more I think about the more worried I get that I'm adding this nasty algae to my aquarium. I know there's a chance I'll get it eventually anyhow, but adding it in the early stages of my tank doesn't sit well with me. Getting the zoos off these rocks does not seem like it will be an easy task since they're very small zoos.

Currently the frags with the Bryopsis are in my refugium. There isn't enough algae growing on them to justify a lettuce nudi...
Any suggestions besides cutting my losses and just getting rid of them?

KDodds
08/30/2006, 05:42 AM
A frag? There's not that much and you can't just manually remove it? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense.

Avi
08/30/2006, 06:44 AM
Well, once the rock bearing the Bryopsis is in the water of your sustem, it's seeded with Bryopsis so I don't think that having it in the sump is much protection, after all. Still, I don't think that's a problem. Bryopsis can be invasive in a reef, but only if the conditions for it foster its growth. And, from my experience with it, it is a relatively easy nuisance algae to control even if it may not seem that way when it flourishes. First of all, you can pull it off the rock that it's on. If your water conditions are good...then it much more likely than not will not begin to be a problem at all. I'd just pull it all off the rock in question and put it in the reef where you want it.

Trigeek
08/30/2006, 06:45 AM
I would keep 'em and just clean the evil stuff off of them. If you're rally concerned, throw them in a q-tank for a bit until they are clean. If your main tank has good parameters and clean water and good means of nutirent export, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Again, quarantine rather than loosing money or killing them.

skeeter-doc
08/30/2006, 09:24 AM
yeah i agree with the above just pull/cut the algae off the little frag rock before it gets any worse, ...

Peter Eichler
08/30/2006, 09:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8041934#post8041934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KDodds
A frag? There's not that much and you can't just manually remove it? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense.

I can manually remove it but that won't really get rid of it. If this wasn't a newer system I wouldn't be so bothered about it. But it being new I just know there are going to be some blooms and I'd rather not have a big bloom of Bryopsis.