PDA

View Full Version : Noise in our Reefs?

Electrobes
08/30/2006, 07:58 AM
So I am curious about the noise in our reefs. I know my HOB skimmer is my Monster culprit for just about all the noise pollution in my reef and I wonder what kind of an affect it has on my tank's inhabitants. Are they any scientific journals or even debates out there that has any sight into this topic? Maybe any personal experience from us as reefers that y'all like to share?

Thanks! :)

Travis L. Stevens
08/30/2006, 08:04 AM
IMO Our aquariums are quiet and serene compared to the crashing waves, storms, and hurricanes that rip through the world's oceans.

Electrobes
08/30/2006, 08:19 AM
I was wondering about that, but storms aren't everyday, nor are hurricanes, and the crashing waves are prob a bit mininal versus pumps in the body of water we keep.. what do you think?

FB
08/30/2006, 08:30 AM
Now I haven't stuck my hole head in my tank to take a listen. But from experience snorekling in the ocean I can tell you that the ocean is a very noisy place. Especially around the reefs. There is a lot of activity going on. Let alone all the noise polution from boats. You can hear boats underwater from miles away.

Just my two cents

FB

Travis L. Stevens
08/30/2006, 08:33 AM
Don't forget all the rocks collapsing and being turned over, all the munching of rocks and corals from fish like parrotfish, lots of splashing from reef fish, and TONS of popping and snapping from things like pistol shrimp, mantis shrimp, and the like.

stereomandan
08/30/2006, 10:29 AM
I bet you have a RIO pump on your HOB skimmer? If so, most skimmers can upgrade to a Maxijet pump. Makes a HUGE difference, at least it did for me.

Dan

Electrobes
08/30/2006, 11:46 AM
stereo - Lord no I don't.. I have the Maxijet.. a rio would just scare me the whole time :)