PDA

View Full Version : starting a nano; suggestions?

reeffisher101
08/30/2006, 04:18 PM
i was thinking of starting a nano reef in the future.probably a 20 gallon. i was wondering if an aquarium from walmart the comes with everything was ok because i dont want to spend so much on that if i am going to spend more than 200 smackeroonys $$$$!!
i can get a 20 ($75) for less than half of what i have seen smaller onesgallon aquariums with every thing ($60-$300).

i wanted to get some small fish like gobies, blennies, bassletts, clowns, dartfish, wrass, and other so called "nano" fishes.
i also wanted to get some cool inverts like candy stripe pistol shrimp, sexy shrimp, bumble bee shrimp, peppermint, coral banded, camel, cleaner, fire, other pistol, and harliquins.
some cool snails like sand conch, tiger cowrie, fighter conch,The Banded Trochus Snail, The Super Nassarius Snail , chestnut cowrie,
cool urchins
cool hermit crabs, Porcelain Anemone , arrow crab, decorator crabs, sponge crab
cool chip anemones
serpant, brittle, and knobbed starsfish
and cool cheap corals.

i know you might think i know a ton about reef fish and stuff like that because i have done this before but to tell you the truth i think i am just addicted to fish like all of you guys an gals out there
i even wrote down in a note book like 15 pages of prices of fish and inverts thats like 660 different things!!!!

so if any of you could make any suggestions i could use for fish and tank ideas feel free to write down any of them

.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.''.'.'.''''.'.'.''.'.'.''.'....'''.''''.''''......''''.....'''''..... ><)))'>

sir_dudeguy
08/30/2006, 04:27 PM
i wouldnt go and get that "complete setup" from walmart...it gives you un-needed stuff, and it doesnt give you the right stuff.

it'd be cheaper to just get a 20 gal. tank, 20lbs of live rock, about 20 lbs of sand, and a few powerheads.

BAILEY464
09/02/2006, 12:08 AM
I 2nd that

cyenna
09/02/2006, 12:20 AM
buy used! visit your local craigslist.com and you'll prolly find a few marine-ready tanks for a good price...if a ready-made tank is what you're looking for. If money is what you're touchy about then definately just look for deals on everything separately (like the guys above said). :)

Ryanqk
09/02/2006, 12:57 AM
definatly get a used glass tank or ask at a LFS they usually can find a small tank and stand. Get your filtration system seperate cuase i dont like getting 2nd hand pumps unless they are like brand new barely used, had a bad experience with that. Then get your lighting based on what you plan to keep. LR, sand and some tweaking you will be on your way make sure you have a test kit if you dont already. You may spend up to your limit on the dry goods alone but with patiance you will have an excellent setup.
Ryan

jmac4978
09/02/2006, 09:28 AM
I agree. If you are just getting into the hobby then you'll find out that buying the all-in-one at wal-mart was a waste. You'll hook it all up, then come here to research and find out that your equipment isnt sufficient for what you want. So instead of buying stuff you'll just replace in a few weeks, piece it together, you'll thank yourself in the very near future. Make sure you research first, dont buy blind!